Yogabliss

Mirrors

16 posts in this topic

I have seen some studios and yoga rooms that have mirrors on the wall, I personally have not practiced in a room with mirros, but I wonder if anybody has and wants to share their opinions, how different was your practice from having mirrors to not having them .

I wonder if the reflexion is distracting or helpful

NadiYoga and Oak like this

For typical practice I prefer not having any mirrors while in a class, it is easier to find a focal point that is not moving or distracting (aka not comparing yourself to everyone else in the room and therefore really connecting with your own practice. For balancing poses in particular I thrive when I can be oblivious to the surrounding class.) That being said I preferred having mirrors in my Bikram class, to ensure proper alignment. Mirrors at home are nice to for that reason as well. 

Yogabliss likes this

Mirrors are great to keep yourself in check no matter what type of yoga you're doing. I occasionally go to a class at the local gym with wall to wall mirrors, so if I wanted to see everyone and compare I could, but I choose not to and focus on myself.

Yogabliss likes this

I practice at one studio with mirrors, one without. I find the mirrors kind of distracting, I find myself worrying about what I look like which isn't helpful in yoga! The classes are pretty crowded there and it's hard to see your form easily. I like to find a single point on the wall to look at during balancing postures, that seems harder to do with a mirrored room. 

Oak and Yogabliss like this

This is a great post!! I have practiced and taught in both. I started out practicing in studios without mirrors, and on my own in my living room without a mirror as well. I felt great and felt my practice was thriving. But then I went to a studio with mirrors and I could see how out of alignment I was with certain things. Or the teacher would give a cue and I would look at my body to see the cue put into action. It never really became a distraction for me until I went to a Bikram class :huh:  - those fluorescent lights and floor to ceiling mirrors don't do anything for one's self esteem! :lol:  But yeah, I see advantages to both, and hope that if I ever own a studio one day I'll figure out a way to have mirrors but be able to hide them if the teacher prefers. 

Oak, yogagrammy, Reggi and 3 others like this

I have limited space to do yoga, so I have a section of my bedroom where I practice at home. My mat is placed in front of my closet which has mirror doors, and a bureau so If the mirror is distracting I just move up the mat a little bit, or if I feel weird and need to check my alignment I can look at myself in the mirror. Kinda the best of both worlds. 

Reggi, YogaByCandace and Yogabliss like this

I think mirrors are very helpful for perfecting alignment.  I have been to studios with and without.  Right now I'm at a studio with mirrors on just one wall, so you could choose to check yourself out, but they are not distracting at all.

Yogabliss and YogaByCandace like this

I think it helps me with my form but sometimes is distratcting because I end up critiquing the way my clothes fit...which is silly but true.  When I'm at home I don't think about that at all.

YogaByCandace and Yogabliss like this

I have a love/dislike (hate is so harsh) relationship with the mirrors.  It is helpful to make some visual adjustments but it is also distracting when trying to balance because you can see a lot of movement.  While I can do without the mirrors, they don't stop me from practicing in that studio.

Yogabliss and YogaByCandace like this

I love the mirrors in my local club.  Fun to see your serious self doing a twist and throw a big smile.  A lighthearted and funny feeling to notice someone looking at you through the reflection from some distant part of the room, its like, are they really there, person in the mirror?  

I find them very helpful for alignment. Many times I think I'm doing the perfect plank to look over and see my arse sticking up in the air :huh:

I can see the pros and cons of both. I've never done yoga with mirrors (aside from my smallish wall mirror and my bathroom mirror), but when I did ballet mirrors were critical for me. I learned corrections best when the teacher showed me in the mirror how I wasn't straight and she would slowly show me how to fix it. In some yoga environments where yoga classes are smaller and go slower, the mirrors would be helpful in this aspect to help you fully align and sink into a pose. In many ways, yoga and dancing intersect considering alignment and breath movement is key and watching yourself can really help.

In faster moving yoga classes or more packed classes, I could see the distraction element because you'd be too busy trying to find yourself. Or it can be distracting because it's ruining your ability to get into your flow and just "dance," as I like thinking @YogaByCandace's flows are. Little dances.

YogaByCandace likes this

Honestly this kind of thing usually feeds my anxiety. It's a great idea and all but catching my own glance every few seconds always tended to throw me off.

My old studio had mirrors of two walls in every classroom and I LOVED it! The lighting was always dim and warm, and reflecting off of the mirrors created such a cozy, safe environment. The mirrors are also super helpful for checking alignment. Mirrors facing each other can get a little trippy, so I would avoid that.