SkittyD

Wrist Support

5 posts in this topic

HI, Candace! 

I'm fairly new to yoga. I've only been practicing about a year. My problem is my wrists and hands. I work in a medical laboratory that involves a lot of manual manipulations. My hands are constantly tired. My arms are also affected by this at times, as well. I have pain in my hands, wrists, and forearms much more often than I would like. The pain is enough to make me dread certain poses and as mental as I try to get to relax my muscles to ease my pain, my muscles just aren't listening. I think they are staying tense which will probably cause some injury at some point. My question to you involves proper strengthening of the wrists and proper alignment when in weight bearing poses such as downward facing dog. What are some exercises and stretches to encourage healthy wrists and hands? Also, it would be wonderful if you have any suggestion for a type of wrist support that is available that would be minimal and not interfere with natural movement (for the most part) that I could use during my practice. Thank you so much and what you have here is very beneficial for so many. <3

YogaByCandace likes this

Oh man that sounds somewhat painful! I would suggest a combo of wrist and hand strengthening a few days a week and then some sort of relaxation and recovery the other days. For wrist and hand strengthening, you can buy those squishy balls off amazon and squeeze and release, you can do this video, and then make sure when you're in poses that give you a tough time that you're distributing your weight properly. For off recovery days, I would recommend rolling out the forearms with something like this and doing that plus the hands in something like this video. Also a muscle rub with essential oils to help the muscles relax might be nice. I hope those ideas are helpful!

Thank you, Candace, for your quick response! :) I'll try your suggestions and see if that helps. Hope you are having a good weekend!

All the suggestions Candace made are awesome for building strength and soothing the wrists. You can also try using one of these wedges under to wrist to decrease the angle in the wrist in weight bearing postures. http://www.amazon.com/Nu-Source-Purple-Foam-Wedge-6-Inch/dp/B009HTGTJ6/ref=sr_1_4?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1454364925&sr=1-4&keywords=wedge+yoga+prop

This is a minimal wrist support I wore just for a few days when they felt tweaky.   I ended up modifying all my vinyasas for a few months, and only after I feel warmed up, I do a full vinyasa but alternate back to modified to give my wrists a break.  I've also slept with soft wrist braces at night (meant for carpal tunnel - mine were aggravated from typing) just to heal for a few days only, not long-term. Now I'm OK without any of these props (9 - 12 months later). These might give you some relief based on your day job.

And yes, the wedges Brenskip recommended are good, too.  Or, if you can't buy them, you can always fold a towel and place the top of your fingertips on the mat, off the towel, while the heel of your hands rest on the towel.  That gives a slight incline that the wedges provide, but not as much.