notlulamae

Ideas To Get A Man Into Yoga!

39 posts in this topic

I know this is meant to be the place than men ask the questions but I'd like to ask a question to you men!

How did you get into yoga? And what would you advise on how to get my other half to join in on a yoga session??!

Feel free to ignore a woman trampling in your territory! :P

KristiSmithYoga, Reggi and Oak like this

Do they play any sports? Yoga will benefit you regardless of what you play – whether it's a hobby or a career. 

Personally, I like to golf. Yoga has helped my game incredibly over the past year, and I would recommend it to anyone who plays. 

Then there is the mental clarity aspect, but you can't really explain that to someone – they've gotta experience it for themselves. 

Depending where you live, you could also entice him with cannabis. He should probably have some basics down before trying that, though.. haha. 

YogaByCandace, laceyd and Turi like this

I know this is meant to be the place than men ask the questions but I'd like to ask a question to you men!

How did you get into yoga? And what would you advise on how to get my other half to join in on a yoga session??!

So now I´m entering the male domain too  ;) My husband does yoga secretly from an app! While he uploads all his other exercise to Endomondo, strangely no yoga session is visible anywhere... However, he enjoys it and says it´s the best thing he has done for himself in years. He´s your typical male, started out looking like Candaces husband in the "don´t do this"-pictures, so he really reaps benefits from it. Just as long as he doesn´t have to go public  :D

Women are totally welcome here  :D  Mostly, I wanted a space for men to ask questions that pertain specifically to them. Women are free to jump in on the convo or start threads within this space!! :) And this is an awesome topic! 

I really like Jake's idea above about making it relate to a sport he's into... Sometimes I think guys who haven't been before are scared they "won't be flexible enough" and won't be able to do half the postures - make take him to a beginner class if this is the case?

Edited to say: just had another idea reading Turi's post above - if he's embarrassed to go in public as a beginner, you could always do a youtube video together from home just so he knows the basics and feels a little more comfortable.

AngelaDarling, starslight and Reggi like this

I've found in my experience that men towards the end of their 'active' sports careers whether it be motor sports, martial arts or whatnot, are more open to yoga if they want to remain active.

laceyd, yogagrammy and pony like this

THANK YOU!!! I started to write your exact post last night, but did not know how to phrase it - abandoned ship! While it is not 'a way of life' for my husband he still values yoga, but too many male friends/relatives/acquaintances seem disconnected even with the notion of trying. 

laceyd and notlulamae like this

So now I´m entering the male domain too  ;) My husband does yoga secretly from an app! While he uploads all his other exercise to Endomondo, strangely no yoga session is visible anywhere... However, he enjoys it and says it´s the best thing he has done for himself in years. He´s your typical male, started out looking like Candaces husband in the "don´t do this"-pictures, so he really reaps benefits from it. Just as long as he doesn´t have to go public  :D

OMG! My boyfriend is the same way! Haha! He does his yoga secretly with an app. He had back surgery about 5 years ago and use to have serious mobility issues. One day I came home unexpectedly and caught him doing yoga guided by his phone. Lol. However he's gotta do it. His mobility now is crazy compared to how limited he was before.
blueswampmusic and Turi like this

My husband understands why I love yoga and what it does for me but when I ask him if he wants to try a practice with me he says "I can't do that, yoga is for women"! I don't know where he got that idea but there it is. He jokingly calls yoga "a cult" and says my essential oil use is "voodoo"! He says he's just being funny. He has let me help him into some stretches to help with pain or aches he is having and says it works and also lets my use oils on him for different things so he's coming along!

Reggi and Turi like this

Haha. Thanks for all your advice guys! He's not big into sports, but used to play a lot of football and I think he'd really appreciate the discipline of yoga.

Might start him on one of Candace's youtube videos and go from there.

I'll let you know how I get on... :24:

Turi, laceyd, Oak and 2 others like this

Edited to say: just had another idea reading Turi's post above - if he's embarrassed to go in public as a beginner, you could always do a youtube video together from home just so he knows the basics and feels a little more comfortable.

This worked for me. My husband does not want to practise in public yet. We used the Yogify app at home and some of Candace's videos. THe modifications for men also helped a lot. Start small with a 15 minute beginner routine.

Hmmm.. I don't think my boyfriend would come to a yoga class with me, but we have done some videos together at home. He used to do yoga in High School but it was more restoritive and less intense than the Candace videos we've done. Maybe go on a run and then do the post run yoga video together? that's a favorite of mine. 

Reggi likes this

My wife was doing restorative yoga to help with her spine. My son had set up the appointments for her. 

I ride bicycles for transportation and exercise and I was hit by a pickup truck 3 years ago. I was lucky when the truck mirror  hit me I was thrown up rather than down. I started joining my wife in the restorative yoga class.

PS My son attended a full moon mediation during my recovery and met his wife there They are on their honeymoon this week. This broke the rollerskating meeting spouse Parents, sister and me meeting our spouses at roller skating rinks  

Did you end up having any luck?  :)

I just logged on and remembered this thread because my husband came to his first ever yoga class last night - his idea if you can believe it. I've always talked endlessly to him about how much joy yoga brings to my life and I think he was always a bit 'whatever' but with his stressful work and my endless talking about yoga and breathing exercises he just mentioned one day 'why don't we do a class together'. Before he could take his words back I had us both booked in and we went together last night to a studio we've both never been to for a class which focuses on alignment and breathing - so totally suitable for newbies. 

He was the only man in there but it honestly wasn't an issue because in true yoga form nobody made a big deal about it and made him feel welcome and comfortable. 

I agree with the others about the 'sporty' aspect, I used to see far more men at hot yoga and I'd imagine Ashtanga, the more 'athletic' forms of yoga. If that doesn't sound interesting to him, perhaps try with the stress busting aspect. My husband mentioned he really enjoyed the guided meditation savasana at the end, and he needs more of that relaxation in his life. We're booked in again for a class on Saturday together  :D

Hey

I've only got him to do about 5 minutes 2 minutes but he said he's definitely like to try it again. I didn't get him to join in with the most simple one. He's not into much althetic activity, so I think I'd definitly go down the stress busting route.

So glad to hear that you're booked in for another class together! I'll let you know of any further success :unsure:

Haha. Thanks for all your advice guys! He's not big into sports, but used to play a lot of football and I think he'd really appreciate the discipline of yoga.

Might start him on one of Candace's youtube videos and go from there.

I'll let you know how I get on... :24:

A lot of professional football players do Yoga now.  Also, our High School Football teams do Yoga as well and is promoted in Youth football. We as men have to get over this fear of being in the "so-called" woman's workouts like Yoga being that it was invented by men in the first place.  Now I have my own fears about going to class, but I do it at home as a beginner. At some point I need to face my fears as I know I'll need some form of instruction to help me get better.

starslight and MrBalloonHands like this

Reading some of the above posts about husbands doing Yoga in secret begs some questions.

Why do we as men feel we have to do Yoga in secret?

I do it at home, yet do not allow anyone to see me doing it.  The whole family knows I do it, I even talk about it and promote it...but behind closed doors I go.

Does it seem that we are somehow less of a man or something? or being perceived less manly? 

Why do we fear going to a class? I know I do, but cannot put a finger on as to why. I never feared going to Aerobic classes filled with mostly women in the past. So why...shrug.

starslight, MrBalloonHands and Todd like this

Some ideas for getting your guy into yoga: 

What's his resistance to it? If it's a "yoga is for women" response,  he may feel insecure about the setting, his body, or ability.  If he feels yoga will lower his status as a "man," then it's likely an ego issue, and introducing it in a non-public setting may be effective. The idea that yoga has anything to do with gender is strange and I'm curious if this mindset is shared outside of Western culture.

Is he active in other areas? I love yoga and all of it's benefits, but even with that, I've struggled to do it consistently because of lifestyle choices. So if he's not already an active human, that could prove challenging.  A low impact meditation style practice would be a nice primer.

You could also offer to do something he’s interested in that you’ve been resistant to try.  That alone could open him up to the possibility of reciprocating. 
notlulamae, fshliz09, Scott and 2 others like this

Reading some of the above posts about husbands doing Yoga in secret begs some questions.

Why do we as men feel we have to do Yoga in secret?

I do it at home, yet do not allow anyone to see me doing it.  The whole family knows I do it, I even talk about it and promote it...but behind closed doors I go.

Does it seem that we are somehow less of a man or something? or being perceived less manly? 

Why do we fear going to a class? I know I do, but cannot put a finger on as to why. I never feared going to Aerobic classes filled with mostly women in the past. So why...shrug.

Your questions are awesome and worthy of an ongoing discussion.
On a surface level, I think it has to do with how yoga has been marketed in the West.  Some men may assume this was created by women for women, and never give it a second thought.  A quick google search would get them past this stumbling block.  The much deeper issue more likely at work, is our cultural ideas about being a “man.”  If an activity (like yoga) conflicts with your definition of manliness, the result is avoidance, or secrecy.  You’re stuck in a paradox. On one side you’ve found something you love and want to share, but there’s an element of shame, fear, or embarrassment attached to it. How do we reconcile?  I think exploring your own ideas of what it means to be a man is a great start. How did you form this belief?  Is it absolute or negotiable?   If you can reshape that view,I think you’ll find yoga fits in perfectly without friction. 

I am looking at a local studio here in town, Sherwood Oregon, called Escape to Yoga. 15% of their clients are men and that lines up with what the national average is. 15% is higher than I thought it was. That is actually great news.

YogaByCandace and Jasmine like this

The physical improvements of yoga far out way anything I would have imagined. My back issues are non-existent now after just 9 months. Also maybe let him do some cool practices at home with youtube before going to a class. If he is up for a challenge he will find it in yoga. It impressed me and I am in my 40's.

I'm not a typical male.   I changed my diet after reading "The China Study" by Colin Campell, and it's been 3 years following Dr John McDougall's Starch Based Diet.  I started yoga after attempting to follow a video 20 years ago.   I haven't incorporated it seriously until I felt my age was starting to restrict my movement.  

One of the best bits of advice that I ever received was to make yoga/meditation my first priority in my day, everything else can wait.   That has been an inspiring idea for me.

When I taught yoga at a gym, about 1/3 of my participants were men.  That's a pretty good ratio for a yoga class!  I think they were able to releate to me since I was a guy that they saw out on the floor lifting weights, just like they did.  If you can find a male teacher that he can relate too, he might be more willing to go.

I have done yoga on and off most of my adult life. I am constantly met with raised eyebrows from other guys when I tell them I do yoga.

I actually think the Western yoga community is largely to blame for the widespread perception of yoga as "a bunch of ladies dressed in white sitting in lotus position". Every time I see a yoga flyer or groupon they use them same clichéd stock photos. I have just googled "yoga" images and the results are hilarious!

While that perception persists, men will build a large mental barrier that will be very difficult to break down. It's ironic that yoga is perceived as such soft exercise by guys, because yoga has done more for my strength than any amount of weight training has ever done.

And then you have those guys with the fairly typical male anatomical tendency to be inflexible in the hamstrings and lower back. They don't see the point in yoga because they think it is all about flexibility, and a lot of the poses they see being practised look unachievable and very intimidating. To my male friends who tell me they are too inflexible do to do yoga, I have the standard reply; You're never too dirty to have a bath...

Jasmine, KristiSmithYoga and Tibor like this

Hmmm.. I don't think my boyfriend would come to a yoga class with me, but we have done some videos together at home. He used to do yoga in High School but it was more restoritive and less intense than the Candace videos we've done. Maybe go on a run and then do the post run yoga video together? that's a favorite of mine. 

My BF is very leary of doing yoga with me. But now that he started running again I suggested the post run yoga video. He looked interested for a sec, but then my boys (who do yoga with me) started in asking him to join us and I think it scared him away. lol

And then you have those guys with the fairly typical male anatomical tendency to be inflexible in the hamstrings and lower back. They don't see the point in yoga because they think it is all about flexibility, and a lot of the poses they see being practised look unachievable and very intimidating. To my male friends who tell me they are too inflexible do to do yoga, I have the standard reply; You're never too dirty to have a bath...

I think this may be one reason he is resisting my gental offers, inflexability. I'm gonna use the 'not too dirty to take a bath' line next time he runs. Thanks for the great perspective!

Robbie likes this

I came to yoga as I got older and couldn't play basketball twice a week... "like I used to"! I finally quit basketball when the pain of the morning exceeded the joy of the night before. That, and some developing back problems, led me to try yoga. Now, as an"old guy", I am not limber, by any means, but I do it to keep the body moving.

Personally, I think men are burdened by a resistant ego and an image of yoga that it is not masculine enough. Show that man a Rodney Yee video! I challenge him to sustain that practice without working up to to it! For me, it is an individual practice, even in a crowded room. My ego is left at the door and I try to practice with my eyes closed.