Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
YogaByCandace

What's the Sanskrit name for....

8 posts in this topic

Toe stand? Anyone? I've come up with padangustasana when googling but I was taught that padagustasana is a standing forward fold with a lock at the big toes (see here). Given my (limited) Sanskrit understanding, I would think it'd be ardha something something but I'm coming up blank. Any help would be appreciated!

Hmm.. that's a great question. I always thought of it as jus the prep for flying pigeon (eka pada galavasana), rather than it's own individual pose. I'm gonna have to look into that now!

YogaByCandace likes this

Well that is really a good question, in bikram toe stand is called padagusthasana. In sanskrit Padagusthasana means posture of big toe. So i guess you can use it if you refer to Bikram yoga terms. 

YogaByCandace likes this

1 hour ago, brenskip55 said:

Hmm.. that's a great question. I always thought of it as jus the prep for flying pigeon (eka pada galavasana), rather than it's own individual pose. I'm gonna have to look into that now!

Oh I hadn't thought to go from toe stand to flying pigeon, but yeah it totally works if I just take my foot out of the hip crease for the next step to baby flying pigeon - cool, thank you! Gonna try incorporating that now!

My answer could be totally wrong so check it out first.

Prapadasana with both feet on the ground. So your picture Ardha (half) Pada (lotus) Prapadasana (tip of the toes)

47 minutes ago, Anahata said:

My answer could be totally wrong so check it out first.

Prapadasana with both feet on the ground. So your picture Ardha (half) Pada (lotus) Prapadasana (tip of the toes)

That makes absolute sense, and is what I'll use! Thank you so much!!!! 

Any ideas for a pistol squat? Not a traditional asana, for sure, but it's another one I was stuck on. I thought maybe a variation of utkatasana - so maybe something like extended leg utkatasana? Any thoughts?

The first one was easy, that is one I used heal damaged feet. I know it well.

I wonder if the pistol squat can’t be translated. There weren’t any pistols back in the time of Sanskrit so there is no Sanskrit word for pistol. If you know other English names that aren’t pistol we can try.

Yoga Dancer has something close in the Utkatasana poses, Angusthasana II.  

Utthita (extended) Eka (one) Pada (leg) 

Angusthasana III ?:unsure::)

Yeah I think extended one legged chair pose sounds about right because it'd definitely be an utkatasana variation since the standing foot is flat on the ground, you know? I'm going to go with Utthita Eka Pada Utkatasana :) haha