Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
LarryD517

Plank pose....straight or slight angle?

4 posts in this topic

I've always thought the body in plank should be a straight line.

56b0e0f230e6a_Plank_Pose.jpg.0321976e56f

I've noticed some photos online where the hips were slightly elevated forming a slight angle.

plank_pose.jpg.c9cda8774d113e987ee2a8589

I can do both easily, but was wondering what the proper alignment should be

Thanks!

afriske likes this

You'll prob get different answers depending on who you ask, but in my opinion somewhere right in the middle of those two is perfect. I don't like instructing with the idea of this perfect straight line because I see a lot of people sinking into the hips and the upper back. When that happens, I see a lot of people sink their weight into their wrists and it becomes a less active pose. Instead, I like to say the following cues: "press into the hands until you feel a slight round in the upper back between the shoulder blades" - this ensures you're having this long line of energy from the hands through the shoulders rather that just sinking the weight in the wrists and also helps to activate the shoulders, chest, and arms. I also like to say "lift your hips ever so slightly" and this helps to ensure people don't collapse into the low back and also helps to activate the core. Hope that's helpful!

afriske likes this

Maybe try thinking of 3 poses. Downdog, Plank, and Updog. Downdog is used to lengthen the backside. Plank is used to strengthen the front. Updog is used to lengthen the front. Maybe not worry about the actual picture so much as long as the pose is working properly for you. This website has some really good teachings to help understand the poses, Plank " If your butt sticks up in the air, realign your body so your shoulders are directly above your wrists. " " hold for up to five minutes " :(