Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
msinkblot

Hello! (and YTT advice)

5 posts in this topic

Hi, I'm Amy, a Montreal-based Singaporean artist and yogi and I've been practising from home for 1 year or so. I've actually only taken online classes through Gaia, online yoga videos on youtube initially, then Yogaglo especially with Kathryn Budig. I also do my own yoga practice based on how I feel like (restorative, more active, heart opening, etc) a few times a week with some music I enjoy. it is a hypnotic practice for me, and I just let my body speak to me and tell me what it wants to do. It really is like a communion of mind and body, and a good compliment to drawing!

I would consider myself an "intermediate/advanced" yogi, whatever that means. I'm planning to do a yoga teacher training and I'm wondering if there is anyone else there who has only done a home practice and not taken any classes? I am embarrassed when studios ask me which studio I go to, since I haven't really gone to a studio, although I plan to take classes at the studios which I am interested in taking a training. Any advice?

YogaByCandace and brenskip55 like this

Don't for a second be embarrassed. Sure, there are benefits to taking a class that you don't get at home (hands-on adjustments being one) but who cares? Everyone's journey is individual, so own yours and walk down your path proudly. Enjoy the training. <3

Lorelei, msinkblot and brenskip55 like this

Thank you so much for the kind words, Cadance! I've been, all my life, someone who benefitted much more from exploring myself and my practice (in all aspects) than starting out in a community (art included, being self-taught). But I do see the benefit of it, I just shy away from the collective aspects of it a lot. I think I have a good feel for it, and I did read obsessively about alignment, particularly in the beginning to keep myself safe. I will follow your advice and walk my path proudly. :) I am cautious of 'cliquey' studios in general. I'm going to follow my gut.

brenskip55 likes this

Hi there! Welcome to the forums. I just had a side thought on a less intimidating reason why the studios are asking (it may or may not help you feel less embarrassed). Most studios have their own teacher training, so they may be curious why you are not pursuing the one at your "primary studio" - then they have a sense of how likely you are to accept a spot in their program (so in this case, it's an advantage because you have no ties yet!).  Also, a lot of teachers teach and / or sub across multiple studios, so they may just be making conversation to find people you know in common. Good for you for pursuing your own path!

msinkblot likes this

@yogafire That is a comforting thought, actually! I am comfortable in my own home practice, but it's just not feasible for me to attend a regular studio because of my schedule (I teach English online from home so I have classes throughout the day) and economy (classes are expensive! And I don't feel like I'm missing out with sites like Yogaglo). When I practice at home, I feel like it's just me, myself and my body. It's easy to get into the mood to do yoga whereas being around others makes me very nervous- something I know I will get over! I'll be doing my first class later today at a studio which I really liked when I visited- my heart/intuition felt at peace and excited- and I may very likely do a training there. Out of all the studios offering training, they are also in a walking distance from me. We'll see how it goes!