AlexandraW

Tips For Teacher Training

13 posts in this topic

Hi Everyone!

I start my yoga teacher training this upcoming Sunday. Our program is split up between Sundays and Wednesdays and spread over 6 months. I'm most nervous about getting through 14 hour days of yoga and training. Any insights on making it through long, intense days? Tips for training in general or ideas for meals and snacks for those long days? Thanks!

Hey good for you, that is awesome! Epsom bath salts will be your best friend after one of those long, intense days! Bring a camera, if they let you, to document things like adjustments - that was helpful for me when looking back. And drink lots of water! Feel free to update us as you go along!

AlexandraW likes this

I haven't done teacher training, but for the one-day retreat I went to, my yoga teacher suggested bringing nuts as a snack (assuming you're not allergic).  Keeps you feeling fuller for longer too.  Good luck! Wow. 14-hour days... For me, I would bring tea that has caffeine (green tea, oolong, black tea) to last... I run with more energy when I drink caffeine that day, so, it might help with energy too for such a long day?

AlexandraW likes this

Best of luck on the journey you are about to embark upon!

Nuts, dried fruits, green juice and Lara bars got me through the long days of my teacher training.

Get lots of rest and try to schedule yourself lighter on the days you are not in training.

AlexandraW and Ayala like this

I thought of this post when I was driving to the gym today and remembered the awesome cooler thing that saved us this summer. I did a review on it here, but basically it's just a sweet cooler that actually keeps things cold and doesn't weigh 85lbs or look like you're going to a tailgating party.   :22:

AlexandraW likes this

Definitely agree with other posters here as to some gentle caffeine if you can tolerate it (black, green, white tea), lots of water, and nuts and fruits for satiety and long-lasting energy. I'd add cut up veggies and hummus to that list--super portable, doesn't require refridgeration or silverware, and tasty! I'd also recommend bringing layers so you can keep your body temperature regulated between long stretches of sitting and periods of movement. Oh--and body wipes for when you sweat!

AlexandraW likes this

I try to soak up every bit of info I can from my on line video subscription and here on yogabycandace since my YTT is on line. I read and study a lot about poses, alignment, sequencing. I'm about half way through and I realize it will take me a little while to complete due to $. What I'm worried about is how I will compare to other teachers since I have been to very little studio classes. I will make more of an effort to attend some but I will have to drive to another town since we only have one instructor here. I know I shouldn't compare myself to others and be my own person but I know others will compare and I don't want to disappoint! I'm having trouble finding my voice and feeling confident speaking. (I practice by myself) I'm hoping reading this thread on yoga teachers will give me some insight and lead me in the right direction so please keep up the conversation! Is it ok to ask the class to keep phone silent or to leave the room to answer a call? What about setting some expectations as far as keeping it quiet during savasana or respecting others space? I want  people to have fun and don't want to be the strict rule making teacher but would it be wrong to ask these things?

Ayala, YogaByCandace and AlexandraW like this

Is it ok to ask the class to keep phone silent or to leave the room to answer a call? What about setting some expectations as far as keeping it quiet during savasana or respecting others space? I want  people to have fun and don't want to be the strict rule making teacher but would it be wrong to ask these things?

I'm not in YTT (for now...), but I have been to a handful of yoga classes. It is a common courtesy to keep phones turned off or silenced. If there are lockers/cubbies available, phones should be kept there, not next to one's mat.

People will not have fun if they are trying to focus and a phone rings! Perhaps if we were all masters of meditation, such a distraction wouldn't affect us... But we're all on a journey together, and we need to respect our shared spaces. :)

All of the classes I've been to have ended in savasana. The teacher instructs that when the student leaves—whether it's immediately or after a few minutes—she should do so in a quiet and unobtrusive manner as to not disrupt other students.

To be more concise, if you are making rules to create a safe and respectful environment for your students, you'll be just fine. :) When time and money permit, try out different studios/teachers/classes to see what feels right to you and what you would do differently!

yogagrammy and YogaByCandace like this

I had  just completed 200hrs course of yoga teacher training course in rishikesh india .now i am yoga instructor in school.,Create your sequences, themes, and playlists to benefit your students,it will work.