Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
msinkblot

How do you use straps?

5 posts in this topic

I'm curious about this. I know how to use blocks and how useful they can be, but I've been using a scarf as a strap (very creative I know, hah). I'm wondering if I should invest in a proper strap? I usually use it for  straight leg IT band stretches or as a way to train my shoulders not to collapse in handstand. I know you can also use them to increase flexibility for deep backbends. Besides that... not so much. Also, anyone use an infinity strap?

I have very tight hamstrings, lower back and calves. I don't use a strap all of the time, but sometimes, I will practice with a strap to force myself to focus on alignment instead of my feet to my hands or my nose to my knee. I find that it really helps stop me from cheating myself out of good alignment. I have an infinity strap as well as a regular. I almost always go for the infinity strap because it's easier to grab (doesn't get tangled and twisted), it's shorter (so less cumbersome) and I like the stretchy aspect of it.  Would highly recommend.

But, I love props. I have foam blocks, cork blocks, a regular strap, an infinity strap, a wheel, and a bolster. So, I might be biased. :)

brenskip55 and msinkblot like this

If your scarf is holding up, I'd just keep using that. No need to go out and get a proper one. I haven't used an infinity strap, so I can't comment on that. I use straps for a number of things from arm balances to gomukhasana to supine stretches - love props! Here's a video I did where I used a strap throughout, if you were interested. 

msinkblot likes this