KateG

Traveling with a yoga mat

4 posts in this topic

Hi all! First time poster, although I've loved reading this forum for quite a while! When I had this question, I knew exactly who to turn to! :)

I just booked a trip to Lake Atitlán, Guatemala to stay at a yoga center for a week (SO EXCITED!!). I've never flown with my mat before, so I'm wondering how easy it is to carry on a yoga mat. I've looked at the thinner travel mats that fold up, but I'd really prefer to have my mat since I'm going to be practicing twice a day (three with meditation).  I'll have a backpack to carry on for my clothes, and I'm wondering if I could travel with this yoga bag as my personal item: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017O5Z328?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_1&smid=ADVD72ZOFGYC8

For yogis that travel, think that will be OK as a personal item? Or do you suggest something else?

brenskip55 likes this

So exciting, congrats on making the trip!

I think a personal item needs to fit under the seat and the yoga mat width exceeds the dimensions.  Does your backpack fit under your seat?  Otherwise, you can make the carry-on a duffel bag (24" works for me) and fit a ton more items than your backpack, which would then become your personal item.

I haven't traveled with my yoga mat myself, but, I had to carry a rolled up canvas painting that had similar dimensions as a yoga mat, and the duffel bag worked best for me.

For anyone who has similar doubts. You can always check with your airline but I can tell you that i have never had any issues with traveling with my yoga mat as a carry on. Now I don't even check because they alway let me in, no matter if it is a low cost domestic airline or a big international one. I saw so many people in the cabin with violins, ukuleles and weird shaped bags that I doubt that a yoga mat could be a problem :)