msinkblot

Yoga art requests?

25 posts in this topic

I'm not sure where to put this so I think I'd put it just in the general discussion forum. :)

I'm doing an asana art series and I'd love to know your interpretations/requests of poses you'd like to see drawn. I've attached the pieces I've finished so far. 

I sort of moved from the quiet poses (supine twist, lotus, child's pose variation) to the fiery poses (eagle, scorpion, crow) and now to the heart-opening poses (king pigeon, now working on kapotasana). My question would be... what poses would you like to see drawn? I was thinking doing one with a series of warriors and also the swan dive from tadasana. Any favourite poses from you guys?

Scan 49.jpeg

Scan 48.jpeg

Scan 36.jpeg

Scan 23.jpeg

Scan 8.jpeg

supinetwist.jpeg

Scan 36.jpeg

mimisouth, Robbie and afriske like this

@mimisouth Good idea! I will do dancer's pose next. I love it visually, but it's not an easy one for me. I think I will be working on that one next both in my art and yoga practice! (Haha, it's funny, but after drawing a few backbends, I actually found them coming easier to me than before). 

mimisouth likes this

what a lovely talent you have and especially if drawing a pose assists in the actual improvement of the pose.  Perhaps I should take up drawing yoga poses...

would love to see if when you finish it...

msinkblot, yogafire and afriske like this

@mimisouth You should! I think art for me is another way of meditating. I've always had a bit of a closed lower back so bending backwards has never been comfortable. I usually stick to wheel where I can adjust how close I am to my feet. Drawing King Pigeon actually made me feel the tension leave. I tried Kapotasana (a very scary backbend!) recently and I felt much more at ease. I would have been too scared to try them before! (Reaching back in camel has always be a frightening move for me till recently)

mimisouth and yogafire like this

On 2/8/2016 at 1:35 PM, msinkblot said:

@mimisouth You should! I think art for me is another way of meditating. Drawing King Pigeon actually made me feel the tension leave.

So cool! It reminds me of the tip to "visualize" the end to help reach your goal - it's so beautiful that you can put it on paper. I think you really capture the flows of energy, so I can see how that makes it easier to do the pose afterwards!

msinkblot likes this

Wild thing! 

These are beautiful! I echo others sentiments that you've got a wonderful talent that you're cultivating. Your hard work shows and is appreciated as you've made such beautiful art. ?

msinkblot likes this

Aww @mrsjoe24 and @yogafire Your comments made me blush :wub: It is true that is kind of a form of visualization, or rather feeling the energetic signature of each pose. I find it helps in yoga too to try and feel each pose- an ongoing communication! Very magical. I never know what to aspect from the drawing though. It's always surprising to see what turns up, so an ongoing discovery for me!

mrsjoe24 likes this

Thanks Robbie and Afriske! I actually showed them at my wedding, too! I'm still taking requests. I'm working on King Dancer now, been awhile since I've been busy with the wedding!

Robbie likes this

Oo! I like how your instagram is Miss ink blot, and now you are now Ms ink blot here. :D Congrats and thanks again for sharing.

msinkblot likes this

I didn't even notice that either! It's a nice feeling, though! Being married :D

I also wrote a statement for this series. If you are interested!

Yoga in Motion is an ongoing series documenting the different elements of my asana practice. Various poses have different elements: fire, water, air, which in turn symbolize different states of being within the cosmic body. Asana practice is a form of alchemy in which I balance out the elements of my day-to-day life with my physical practice on the mat. It is a journey of exploration that changes everyday, mirroring the fluidity of each day's different rhythm, signature, character. Each yoga pose, for me, holds a certain energetic signature and mythos which I try to channel through the act of drawing. By drawing these poses, I also explore the energetic imprint within my body and the deeper aspects underlying them.

Awww you guys are making me blush! :wub: Although I'm going to ask again for people's favourite poses!! I'm not sure which one to do next. Mmhmm... I've already done:
Child's pose
Kapotasana
King Pigeon
Forearm balance 
Supine Spinal Twist
Eagle pose
Lotus
Crow

Okay, that's a fair few! Hmm... Maybe even handstand might be fun! Because I feel so good doing it, it may be a challenge to articulate the feeling into the drawing. 
You guys have any suggestions?

How did you first get to balance in handstand? I read other people's tips to make a split in the air and gradually move them together, so I was wondering if drawing that pose from that split open legs before being straight might articulate more feeling.

What about triangle pose?

@yogafire I got it very very recently!! Definitely splitting the legs helps a lot. I think it also helps to gain control while in the pose and explore it. Three things work for me so far (I'm still quite early in the handstand game. Like a week in only): 

- Kicking up on your dominant leg but bending one knee to your chest. This is good for testing balance! You can slowly widen your legs into a split from there and use the top leg as your anchor so you can find balance (the more you send energy to the top leg, the more your bottom leg can catch it).

- Kicking up on your dominant leg and going into sideways splits then finding balance, a bit like ^

- Sounds weird, but I actually find pressing up from bent knees (malasana) easier sometimes! Like this:

Some days When I jump up from malasana, I find it easier to hover with bent legs and find my balance then reach up. It takes a few hops to get the right alignment but when you do, it's sometimes even easier than kicking up. I find it helps to bend a bit forward and "firm your foundation" (I guess activate your shoulders). 

I never thought of triangle pose / the standing poses! Might be a good idea. :P I'll take a look at the standing series now...

yogafire likes this

Beautiful drawings @msinkblot! I'm curious to find out the meaning of your drawings (like the eyes, the leaves, etc.), how long have you been drawing?

Could I request a drawing involving two people?

@jvanhouten That's a wonderful idea!! :) I have a little side project I'm working on, but perhaps I'll do something with two people for the 2nd tier of the series.

As for the symbology, they're sort of a mythology I constructed unconsciously. I think they mean something different for everyone! But I think of them as drawings that contain many microcosms of stories in a macroverse. They're self-contained, but they also grow and lead to each other, if that makes any sense (vegetative metaphors work here). I find that the theme of each drawing sort of emerges by itself, in retrospect. I am always surprised by what appears on the page too. That's why the yoga series is interesting, it's a back-and-forth communication with the pose in which I listen and feel it by drawing. 

I've only been drawing since 2010, so about 5 years! Although  my 'style' as it is now sort of just appeared and the imagery has grown and changed over time... The eyes have always been there. I don't know why! I think they're a metaphor of many types for ways of sight, or the seeing I, or just different ways of perception, feeling and experience. Your guess is as good as mine! I find drawing is a bit like channeling... you don't really know what will happen and for me it's about 20% deliberate, 80% improvised. :P 

yogafire and jvanhouten like this

Your drawings are beautiful. You have a very introspective and meditative way of drawing.

Thanks @KateZena! I've sort of fallen out of my yoga practice but recently I got a dream to draw Bow pose... I sort of dislike that pose a lot. But maybe I'll get to it sometime!