Shonmao

What's For Breakfast?

25 posts in this topic

I'm  having a rough time trying to figure out what to have for breakfast. I'm trying to lose weight because I'm diabetic (#2 Concern) and hypertensive.

I'm sensitive to dairy.

I was thinking about incorporating Bulletproof coffee, but I am caffeine sensitive and good butter is no longer easy to come by. Kerrygold is starting to use intensive farming practices and Kalona grass-fed butter is in a Whole Foods 20 miles from my location.

So that being out, I'm starting to look at the  FODMAPs diet, but am overwhelmed.

->Does anyone have any quick morning prep, or at least I can prep it the night before so that I can just eat it in the morning?<-(My #1 Concern)

Actually any ideas and suggestions would be welcome. Perhaps I could find something through what people are eating in general.

I eat a pretty big breakfast  :24:  (I just wanted to use this emoji, I really have no idea what it's about? Is he happy? I think so. Anyway.)

For me: 4 scrambled eggs, sauerkraut (for probiotics, it's part of the GAPS diet I'm following to heal my stomach from longterm antibiotics use for lyme disease) and usually half an avocado.

My husband does this overnight oats breakfast every once in a while when he just needs to grab something and go, and I used to make granola all the time (but now can't have oats for a while due to the above mentioned diet).  Not sure the granola would be great for you because of the high sugar content, but the overnight oats might work? 

I'm curious to read what other people eat for breakfast, as I really enjoyed the NYTimes article of kids' breakfasts around the world.

Jake, Yogabliss, Laura and 4 others like this

I heard that ghee bulletproof coffee tastes delicious!

My favorite breakfast is one grapefruit and 2 boiled eggs. Another one is an egg baked in avocado, here is one version of many:

1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C).
  2. Place each avocado half in a ramekin. Crack 1 egg into each avocado half; season with salt, black pepper, and cayenne pepper. Place ramekins on a baking sheet.
  3. Bake in the preheated oven until entire egg is cooked through, about 15 minutes. Sprinkle each avocado with bacon and chives. Or leave the bacon and use feta cheese instead.
MooreJ and blueswampmusic like this

I love breakfast! I start every morning with lemon juice and lukewarm water (before my yoga session) and then I try to change the meal every morning, here are my favourites: overnight raw porridges, homemade granola with yogurt or non dairy milk, soft boiled eggs, bread with olive oil, ricotta cheese and dukkah or zataar, avocado, pancakes, always a fresh fruit, some nuts and a cup of green tea.

Every day I crush 6-9 eggs. I will try and vary the ratio of whole eggs to egg whites, but I can't start my days without a good source of protein. Occasionally I mix in a little homemade yogurt with any kind of fresh berries or a banana. 

I also can't go without an espresso from my Nespresso Machine!  :24:

Yogabliss, Laura and AngelaDarling like this

I agree, proteins are very important in breakfast, I try to add some sources every day and I noticed this helps me coming to lunch time without starving!

Something pretty different from typical Italian breakfast: cappucchino and croissant :lol:

Yogabliss likes this

I agree, proteins are very important in breakfast, I try to add some sources every day and I noticed this helps me coming to lunch time without starving!

Something pretty different from typical Italian breakfast: cappucchino and croissant :lol:

LOL, I am Italian-American, my heritage must be why I hate breakfast so much!  :lol:

So yeah, I hate breakfast, and I can barely choke down a smoothie (which would obviously not be helpful to you!). BUT my husband loves breakfast, and a delicious one that might work well for you is tofu & egg whites scrambled with some soy sauce, red pepper flakes, and lemon juice, then some garlic, grape tomatoes, and spinach added in at the end. Tons of protein, healthy fats (esp. if you saute everything in olive oil!), and very low carb!

Laura likes this

I'm  having a rough time trying to figure out what to have for breakfast. I'm trying to lose weight because I'm diabetic (#2 Concern) and hypertensive.

I'm sensitive to dairy.

I was thinking about incorporating Bulletproof coffee, but I am caffeine sensitive and good butter is no longer easy to come by. Kerrygold is starting to use intensive farming practices and Kalona grass-fed butter is in a Whole Foods 20 miles from my location.

So that being out, I'm starting to look at the  FODMAPs diet, but am overwhelmed.

->Does anyone have any quick morning prep, or at least I can prep it the night before so that I can just eat it in the morning?<-(My #1 Concern)

Actually any ideas and suggestions would be welcome. Perhaps I could find something through what people are eating in general.

I like making overnight oats and add chia seeds to them for proteines and all the other good stuff, they contain. You can use nut milk instead of dairy. The next day add your favourite fruits, nuts, berries or whatever and you have a delicious and healthy breakfast. I use pinterest to find inspiration for new ways to serve this. 

nfenchak, Yogabliss and Laura like this

I eat a pretty big breakfast  :24:  (I just wanted to use this emoji, I really have no idea what it's about? Is he happy? I think so. Anyway.)

For me: 4 scrambled eggs, sauerkraut (for probiotics, it's part of the GAPS diet I'm following to heal my stomach from longterm antibiotics use for lyme disease) and usually half an avocado.

My husband does this overnight oats breakfast every once in a while when he just needs to grab something and go, and I used to make granola all the time (but now can't have oats for a while due to the above mentioned diet).  Not sure the granola would be great for you because of the high sugar content, but the overnight oats might work? 

I'm curious to read what other people eat for breakfast, as I really enjoyed the NYTimes article of kids' breakfasts around the world.

Obviously :24: it´s a pirate truck driver who´s is going WUHU while pulling his horn!! Which really just calls for this one:  :21:

Yogabliss and YogaByCandace like this

I make a big smoothie every weekday morning, my husband and I split it.  Usually 1-2 bananas, a couple handfuls of spinach, and frozen fruit (strawberries, raspberries, or pineapple ususally) with unsweetened vanilla almond milk.   My husband usually has a spoonful of peanut butter on the way out the door and it keeps him full until he has lunch around 12.  I have the smoothie plus usually toast with homemade peanut butter, I workout in the morning & don't eat until 2 so I need a lot in the morning.

On the weekends we either have smoothies or eggs saturdays (depends on if one of us has to work), and sunday we usually do our own things because I teach in the morning.  I usually just have a piece of toast and pb before I go.  THat must be when my husband eats the cereal I am always buying him but never see him eat haha

Yogabliss likes this

If I have time, I do steel cut oats with a spoonful of peanut butter- so satisfying and filling.  When I'm in a rush, I do a smoothie using a handful of frozen strawberries, frozen mango, 1/4 cup oats, 1/4 almond milk, and 1 cup water- blend it in the Ninja and I'm good to go.  Very energizing!

Yogabliss, Laura and YogaByCandace like this

I love breakfast! I start every morning with lemon juice and lukewarm water (before my yoga session) and then I try to change the meal every morning, here are my favourites: overnight raw porridges, homemade granola with yogurt or non dairy milk, soft boiled eggs, bread with olive oil, ricotta cheese and dukkah or zataar, avocado, pancakes, always a fresh fruit, some nuts and a cup of green tea.

I do it the other way around. First yoga session, then warm water with juice of have a lemon. For breakfast I love oatmeal, millet, amarath... I cook it with unsweetened almond milk or another nut milk. I eat it with different fruits like banana or blueberries. With or without cinnomon or coconutflakes.

Laura, Yogabliss and YogaByCandace like this

My breakfast comes at different times of the day (or night) depending on if I'm working or not. If I'm off, I usually have a bowl of oatmeal and through in a handful of dried mixed fruit and granola. I will take that with me to work also but I never know what time of night I may eat it. Usually between 2-4 a.m. If I'm working I mix a smoothie and bring it to drink in report before I hit the floor on my shift.

Yogabliss and YogaByCandace like this

On my busy days I'll have a bowl of hot porridge, you could make it with water and almond milk to avoid any dairy. I cover it with delicious berries and flaked almonds. Oats tend to keep me feeling full for a while, and they're great at helping cholesterol stay down as a bonus!

beth and Yogabliss like this

I struggle with breakfasts, because I am always rushed, but I try to make sure protein is a big component. If it's a really rushed day, I'll use my vegan protein powder and make a simple shake/smoothie, then I eat at work (usually fruit/eggs). Overnight oats are a great thing, too. It is my dream to be organized enough to set up 5 mason jars full of yummy things, so that all I have to do the night before is pour water/almond milk/milk over and put it in the fridge. 

I also learned recently that you can "hard boil" eggs in the oven, so I do this on Sundays. I put the eggs in a cupcake tray and bake them at 350 for 30 minutes. Job done, no real mess, and I can just grab them from the fridge through the week. 

Yogabliss likes this

Hearty breakfast is a must for me! I typically stick with steel cut oats and fruits/berries, though will include a smoothie or omelette. I also love leftovers for breakfast, lots of veggies, protein and sometimes with a salad and egg on top. Whatever I am feeling in the morning!

Laura and Yogabliss like this

Overnight oats are a great thing, too. It is my dream to be organized enough to set up 5 mason jars full of yummy things, so that all I have to do the night before is pour water/almond milk/milk over and put it in the fridge. 

Oh the dream of being more organized, I know that one too. I usually blame the lack of organized and pre-prepared meals in the fridge on the size of the fridge - it is so space consuming to have all those thing made ready. Not at all about me being too tired, lazy or rather wanting to hang out with my family than with the kitchen  :1:

Yogabliss likes this

Sometimes I wake up too late to make a great breakfast so I always have something that I can bring with me to work. I realized you don't need to eat breakfast first thing in the morning. So I make sure to drink water first thing, and then when I get hungry I eat a banana, if I have time I'll make eggs or steel cut oats with fruits and avocado. Or if I slept in then I usually choose to bring some farmer's cheese with fruits or instant oatmeal with a banana.

I used to always have coffee in the morning to get me through the day, but recently, the coffee we have in the office has made my stomach hurt so I have been coffee free for 3 weeks now!  

Why don't you try some almond butter with bananas on whole wheat toast? Super easy and yumm-o!

Yogabliss likes this

A week day B fast would basically be a glass of warm water and a smoothie with protein powder, since I'm allways rushing out the door, but weekend breakfast would be a couple of eggs with toast and potatoes , I know it is so basic but I really enjoy it

My easy go to meal of the day is Rolled Oats cooked with water, frozen blueberries and greek yogurt, all mixed together. When I remember and want something a little different but also easy I do steel cut oats. I let my steel cut oats soak overnight in either water or soy milk along with some chia seeds. The next morning I stick it in a blender w/ some frozen fruit and whatever else I'm in the mood for - it gives it a nutty taste.

Turi and YogaByCandace like this

2-3 eggs (scramble in small tuperware bowl with a dash of milk and microwave for 2 mins) old fashioned whole oats with honey OR  toast with peanut butter ,1/2 grapefruit, coffee and I'm good till lunch.

YogaByCandace likes this

According to some research Breakfast must be heavier than lunch and dinner. Breakfast should be healthy it must not include butter,pasta,bread , etc. A healthy and heavy breakfast makes people feel energetic all day long, It is found in studies those who do not take breakfast ,  There immune system becomes weak in comparison to those who take breakfast. Every person who want to be healthy must include healthy foods and fruits in their breakfast . My morning starts with a glass of noni juice and then in my breakfast, I include a bowl of milk with cornflakes in it and two boiled eggs.

I'm not the biggest traditional breakfast fan, so my favorite breakfast is some sort of hash with a poached egg. I'll sauté diced yellow squash and sweet potato with whatever I have in the house - onion, mushroom, green onion, fresh herbs, bacon, sausage, and then throw one or 2 poached eggs on top. It's pretty damn delicious. When I'm being proactive, I'll make a huge batch of the veggies on the weekend, and then parse them out into individual containers. Then all I have to do during the week is throw the veggies in the microwave while I poach an egg - which, by the way, is was easier than it sounds - promise!

Plus, if you're not into the poaching, just a fried egg on top would be good too!