desiree

headstand

11 posts in this topic

You could start with tripod headstand, I think it is the easiest (normal headstand is a bit hard on the neck). The way I went about it was just practising in the beginning with 90 degree chataranga arms (make sure they don't splay out). Put your head on the ground and walk it into dolphin with straight legs. You can practice lifting one leg and the other to find your balance. Go on your tip toes and reach up energetically. Or you could shrink one leg and rest it on your arm and then the other. Make sure you connect to your core and don't collapse into your shoulders. Reach the energy from your core and you should feel your legs become easier to lift. The trick is to get your hips above your shoulders- this will make it easier to lift the legs. Hope it helps!

desiree likes this

One more tip - secure a yoga strap around the forearms, just below the elbow to keep at shoulder width and prevent them from sliding further out.

Good luck and be both careful and patient :)

Yes to @brenskip55. A wall is very very helpful. I find I can hover in handstand with a wall even if I'm one foot from it- something I can't do without a wall. It really helps you to build your courage! And yes, a strap is very very useful (a belt will work or a scarf if you don't have one). Also, patience :) It will become easy with time. I promise!! Once you master tripod headstand, normal headstand will be easier. A lot of it is learning to reach energy up into your legs from your core. It's not an energetic pull we're used to if you don't have an inversion practice. 

brenskip55 likes this

You can do tripod headstand against a wall with blocks under your shoulders, my teacher showed me how to do this. Lift the knees onto the arms first, then lift up.

I far prefer working on supported headstand. Tripod headstand is something I'll work on once I feel safer/more confident while on supported headstand. Either way, you won't know what works best for you until you try.

Candace's instructions on how to get into supported headstand really work for me. I find that trying to do the pose with my knees to my chest really engages my core, which in turn helps me feel more stable (and makes me work harder).

yogafire likes this

Hi! I just started improving my headstand practice myself. It's fun isn't it?

Candace uses this explanation frequently, but when you start to practice away from the wall (which can be scary), use your legs like a kind of teeter totter. Lift one leg up and use your strength to lift the other up. Keep the first leg past your hips so it you will be balanced and won't flip over. I have found this method extremely useful in staying in the headstand and working on the strength.

yogafire likes this

@afriske that's so true. Working on that method really helps keep you stable in the posture. Plus once you get it, you feel like a rockstar, super strong :)

@brenskip55 I'm not able to hold an headstand straight, but the fact that I can do this method most days makes me really appreciate my progress! 

Definitely don't disregard the small victories!

brenskip55 likes this