LiveLoveZen

Advice for Yoga on a Tight Schedule?!

9 posts in this topic

Hi to this wonderful community and Candace!

I stumbled upon this blog via a Pinterest link to the 31 day strength project. I'm a bit late but loved the idea and figured I'd try on my own for the next 31 days as part of my own journey to rediscover my inner peace and do better for myself (I even started blogging about it :)). I'm just looking for any advice on how to fit yoga into a busy work schedule. I'm in residency and work about 13 hour days, 6 days a week with a constantly changing schedule. Right now I'm working the overnight shift. It's so hard to find regular time for yoga and meditation and I find myself becoming discouraged with little advancement I'm able to notice in my strength and flexibility because I don't have much time to devote. Any advice is welcome! Thanks in advance :)

Nima 

Hi and welcome! So glad you found us. Those are some long hours - wow! I would just try to fit it in wherever you can - a few minutes here while you wait for the tea water to boil, a few minutes there, while you're waiting for your shower to warm up. I do 10 deep breaths in meditation every morning and night because that's manageable in terms of time for me. It literally takes maybe two minutes total and it's the first thing I do before I get out of bed, and the last thing I do before I go to sleep. Sure, we could all benefit from longer meditation, but that's what works for me right now and maybe that'll be something you can also squeeze in? Best of luck, keep us posted!

LiveLoveZen likes this

Thanks for the advice, Candace! I always felt I had to devote a good consecutive length of time to yoga or meditation. I started sneaking it in everywhere today and I feel like I'm getting somewhere already! Great tips. Thanks :)

Nima

On 2/15/2016 at 4:09 AM, LiveLoveZen said:

Thanks for the advice, Candace! I always felt I had to devote a good consecutive length of time to yoga or meditation. I started sneaking it in everywhere today and I feel like I'm getting somewhere already! Great tips. Thanks :)

Nima

Girl, if that was the case I would NEVER do yoga, LOL! I sneak in a sun salutation or two while I'm waiting on the microwave, practice inversions while "my show" is on, and start my morning with stretching.  For me, it was so easy to be discouraged by these amazing Instagram pictures but I have to remember that those people have been practicing far longer than me and that because yoga is their career, they have more time to devote to it.  At least that seems to be the case, correct me if I'm wrong Candace!

6 hours ago, AnandaYoga said:

Girl, if that was the case I would NEVER do yoga, LOL! I sneak in a sun salutation or two while I'm waiting on the microwave, practice inversions while "my show" is on, and start my morning with stretching.  For me, it was so easy to be discouraged by these amazing Instagram pictures but I have to remember that those people have been practicing far longer than me and that because yoga is their career, they have more time to devote to it.  At least that seems to be the case, correct me if I'm wrong Candace!

well, I do feel those down times but nice words like this would always get any newbie going :) it makes me want to continue my yoga journey and just shrug off those images of "perfect" yogis I constantly see on my news feed off my head,

Oh by the way, any yoga moves you can advice while sitting in front of the computer? the subtle one's since I dont want my boss or colleagues to ask me what Im doing during office hours :) 

LiveLoveZen likes this

10 hours ago, JaeRustia said:

yoga moves you can advice while sitting in front of the compute

When ever looking for a specific tutorial or video, you can (and should) review all the amazing content Candace created on her YouTube page. In addition, you can go to any search engine then search for "yogabycandace.com XYZ pose". For example here is a search for this web site's content on Crow Pose

LiveLoveZen likes this

Thanks everyone! I love the encouraging words. What a wonderful environment :)

I agree, we need to remember the yogis doing all the cool poses are much more advanced, but I love seeing them! They are so beautiful, and it's a little bit of a motivation to continue practicing as well. My personal goal is to become more flexible, toned, and healthier (in mind, body, and spirit). 

Anyone else have yoga related goals?

LarryD517 likes this

12 hours ago, JaeRustia said:

Oh by the way, any yoga moves you can advice while sitting in front of the computer? the subtle one's since I dont want my boss or colleagues to ask me what Im doing during office hours :) 

My ideas below are for the office, sitting at computer. They work well for tight schedules as well, improve work productivity.

I really enjoy these, they are from an old topic of mine.

"This is a nice one for the desk. Take your right arm straight up overhead. Bend at the elbow so the forearm lies across the top of the head (do the best you can). Take the left hand and gently pull the right elbow for more stretch. Try to extend the right elbow up towards the ceiling. When you breathe deeply notice how the ‘shoulder stretch’ effects all the way down to the hips. Someday the arm will come behind the head but do not strain the neck.

Grab both elbows with the forearms over the head and stretch upwards and back.

Try taking your forearm behind and across the middle of your back. Maybe grab your other arm. Do the best you can. Then allow the breath to lift the chest up. When the chest lifts notice the shoulder open, try to get the shoulder to rotate backwards slightly, all those parts are connected.

Constant repetition is important. Find a comfortable place in the stretch and let the breath do the work. You will also find it helps tremendously for sitting at a desk all day. Doing these intensely once a week will not be helpful and probably only cause injury."

yogafire and brenskip55 like this