msinkblot

Bad digestion in general

4 posts in this topic

I often find that my gut health and mental health are so closely linked that even the slightly disturbance in mood causes the food to lay in my tummy so it feels like I'm not digesting at all. And I'm always hungry when this occurs. Usually I'm also feeling scattered in general. I find on the days my digestion is good, I also feel relaxed (and yoga definitely helps with this). Since doing yoga, I have gained weight very slowly over the course of a year (about 5 pounds from an unhealthy weight after losing a bunch of weight due to stress) and healthily and my gut has improved drastically. I've also been more consistently hungry and I feel I can digest more foods. That being said, I still get 'bad days' in which I sit with a distended stomach, very nibbly and hungry, and basically all over the place. I also get a lot of diarrhoea everyday (it's rare I don't), and I can't digest pasta, bread, milk, some vegetables or anything I didn't grow up with (Asian diet rice, fish, soup). Do people have advice... just in general? Anyone with stomach issues here? :P

YogaByCandace likes this

Yep - after long term antibiotic treatment for lyme disease I had a terribly distended stomach morning, noon and night. I mean painfully distended, oh it was so horrible. I couldn't eat anything without my stomach blowing up to the size of a 9 month pregnant woman. It was so horrible. I followed the GAPS died (healing, short term diet) very strict for two years (which is the recommended max time, for some people they can move through it quicker) and I am 100% back to normal now. So thankful! 

Anyway, the book on the GAPS diet is here, which explains how the diet works to heal and seal the gut lining so that you can properly absorb your food, and if you google 'yogabycandace gaps' you will get a bunch of updates I did along my 2 year journey, and if you need some guidance, Fairy Gut Mother is a good friend of mine and is GAPS certified and a Nutritional Therapy Practitioner - she does consults and can help you move through the healing process. Best of luck!

msinkblot and yogafire like this

Thanks Candace!! Yeah, it must have been so difficult to recover from lyme disease and to clear your liver. I'm so happy for you!  Actually read your posts yesterday after the fact and they were very encouraging for me. :) But having a diet isn't feasible for me at all, just because I don't think a restrictive diet- even implied and not really- will be healthy for me. I have a tendency to rapidly lose weight with the slightest lifestyle change and I don't trust myself to be able to do such a diet safely. But I'm going to try and take it step by step, meaning to record what foods give me issues and which don't. My gut health has improved majorly since I've been doing yoga, but there is sill a lot of work to be done. I also notice I always only get pain when I eat 'new foods' I'm not used to at my partner's mum's house, etc. I also can't digest bagels or some forms of bread, but crackers seem quite digestible for me. I'm going to read the rest of your gaps posts anyway (I read the 1 year 6 months and 1 year update) just because it is inspiring for me to see someone take charge of their own health for the better and to find what would work for me. If anything, I'm so happy that I'm not the only one dealing with such issues.

I also read somewhere (on a yoga site) about 'giving thanks' to the food for being on your table, even if it's the grain for being harvested. The process of taking a few breaths before eating actually helps to calm me down so I digest better. It's funny how the mental and physical health are linked, isn't it? 

YogaByCandace likes this

Oh yeah, I totally hear you - it's amazing to me the connection between gut and mind. My friend, the aforementioned Fairy Gut Mother, was telling me that in one of her classes she was in a class where they said that your body can develop allergy-like symptoms to certain foods if they're incredibly stressed when eating. So, for example, say a family sits down to dinner, and the parents have a huge blow out fight. The children, having to listen to the fight, might then have a reaction to the food because their body isn't in the ideal state to eat, digest and absorb the nutrients from the food. It's nuts! Stress is huge - so any time you can take a second to give thanks, and decrease stress before eating it's a good thing. Best of luck to you!

yogafire and msinkblot like this