yogafire

Alternative resting poses to child's pose?

6 posts in this topic

So, good news! My doctor originally suspected that I had arthritis or a possible stress fracture in my foot, but today she confirmed it is bursitis on the top of my foot. Now I can resume yoga and other activities as long as they don't put pressure on the top of my foot (where I have inflammation). 

Any suggestions on a resting pose instead of child's pose when I skip out on some vinyasas? I actually injured my foot from child's pose - I sat back on my heels and put too much pressure on the top of my feet.  My current backup is to cross my bad foot over the other at the ankles (also for a modified tabletop), but it feels awkward. Thanks in advance!

Hmm... Good question! I often feeling claustrophobic in child's pose so I prefer hero's pose to rest. Have you tried doing an alternative child's pose where you splay your legs wider rather than below your body? That way, your weight is not resting on your feet when you are down. I actually prefer that variation. I don't know how much pain you are feeling though. So depending on how much pressure you're comfortable with, that might or might not be a good idea. Maybe having Gomukhukhasana legs instead of feet down? I remember Candace had a really nice article about this I read a loooooong time ago. Let me find it...

http://yogabycandace.com/blog/variations-of-childs-pose

(I suppose I was referring to 1.)

Injuries are hard to work around. I hope you feel better soon! Hopefully others have more useful suggestions because I'm not sure!

yogafire likes this

I failed to mention that the weight of my own foot with the top part touching my mat or me grabbing my foot in dancer's pose are all no-nos right now.

Gomukhukhasana is a good idea, except there is too much of the top side of the foot sliding into the mat for my comfort. I haven't even been sitting in easy pose and instead, sitting in this shoelace version: 

photo_on_2012-07-17_at_13.00_3.jpg 

(source: http://breakingmuscle.com/yoga/kick-your-asana-4-yoga-positions-for-tight-hips)

I did an all levels class, and the teacher said, "Take a vinyasa, or stay in downward dog".  I know some classes referenced "downward dog" as a "resting pose" - seemed like a cruel joke at first, but now it is my resting pose of choice if I'm already standing.

I'm modifying right now just by flexing my feet instead of pointing, but, I do not want to put too much strain on my toes and balls of my feet.  I am already doing wide legged child's pose and it just feels awkward to be higher up from flexing my feet instead of laying them flat on the mat.

For instance, I modify low lunge flexing my foot like this (I found a male model! from skimble.com):

skimble-workout-trainer-exercise-yoga-le

From this:

skimble-workout-trainer-exercise-yoga-le

Maybe this is enough, and I just need to limit my yoga to not overuse the other parts of my foot?

This is the instructions for Child's Pose http://www.yogaoutlet.com/guides/how-to-do-child_s-pose-in-yoga They offer a modification to put a blanket, padding under the feet. Maybe you could try moving the padding forward under your ankles? You might have to keep a small folded blanket with you all the time until your injury is better. It may be possible to just put your hands under your ankles to hold your feet up.

And this is Puppy Pose, an easier version of Downdog. http://www.yinyoga.com/ys2_2.0_asanas_anahatasana.php You can tuck the toes under. Or maybe use the padding in this one as well.

yogafire likes this