andiphant

Any Other Runners?

33 posts in this topic

Any runners on the forum? I love yoga to balance out my running and stay stretched out and relaxed. I run 3-4 miles at a time currently, usually with my best 4 legged buddy. 

Courtney likes this

I run too, but I was motivated the other way - for the cardio to balance with all the yoga!

My runs are around the same distance at 3.5 miles, no companion though! I'm considering training for a half marathon next year since I wasn't sore after running 6 miles one day during vacation.  I run outside on concrete though, so I slowly want to build up endurance to lessen knee impact.

Are your quads and hamstrings pretty even in strength? With yoga, my hamstrings used to be sore for a few days (DOMS I think, not overstretching), and then if I try to do a bow pose, my knees hurt (feel like ligaments are getting pulled) once I try to grab them.  I also heard distance running uses hamstrings more than quads.  So, I suspect my quads are weaker and am trying to add in wall sits to even it out and protect my knee joints.

I used to run quite a bit, which brought me to yoga in the first place. I have done quite a few marathons and halves.

I am not currently training for anything and more focused on yoga right now, but still do short runs here and there.

Yes! Yoga makes running so much better. 

I usually get in a few 3-4 mile runs a week, working up to 13.1... this winter will be awesome :) 

I found that incorporating a foam roller to my pre and post stretching/yoga is THE BEST. It's like a hybrid practice I came up with.. haha. 

A lot of people in my office are runners, and I am constantly told two things: Pace myself, and spend at least 20 minutes stretching after a run. It took me a while (about a year) to actually follow that advice, and I really wish I would have sooner. It makes all the difference in the world. 

I'm kind of a runner! I actually don't LOVE running, so I only run 1-2x/week, and then do other forms of cardio other days. BUT I'm running a 10K on Thanksgiving and planning to do a half in May! The Disney marathon is on my bucket list. :)

I keep thinking that eventually I'm going to have to start running more than 1-2x/week to see the kind of progress I want to see, but honestly, I'm progressing faster doing HIIT and tons of strength training for my legs than I ever was just by trying to run a lot. So weird.

YogaByCandace and andiphant like this

running has always been my go to, but i realized i was getting bored with it

so when i do run outdoors, it's maybe once or twice a week anywhere from 3-6 miles...i do intervals with a lot of sprinting on other days; it really mixes everything up

i keep saying im going to train for a half marathon one of these days, but im kind of enjoying working out without injuries lol...it's like my body loves to give me shin splints

Jake likes this

I used to run then took a break and now I am building up my endurance again. I'm currently doing C25K. Yoga has really helped me in terms of breathing and streatching my muscles.

I used to run for longer periods of time (well, long for me, 45-60 mins a few times per week), but I decided to switch it up and recently started doing sprints instead and have a love/hate relationship with them. I looooove the beginning of the sprint (especially if I'm listening to a good song) and I feel like I can run forever but by the end of the sprint I feel like I might die  :43: and when I stop the sprint, there's a horrible moment where I'm gasping for air and feel like I can't get enough.  :21:  (Sorry I am just loving these emoticons haha)

And then when I recover and am ready for my next sprint I'm back in love with it again. And at the end of my sprint training I feel so good. :24:

KimW, Courtney, Meugenio and 3 others like this

I run a couple of times per week. I use to run more, but then I got into yoga, had some health issues, and my running dwindled significantly. I've been doing pretty well getting out there lately and am running a 10k with my friend on Sunday.

andiphant likes this

I run around 3-4 times a week. I find that running is something I need when I'm in a bad mood and need to clear my head, but yoga is something i need when I'm feeling stressed and anxious about something. What about you guys?

andiphant and yogafire like this

I run and practice yoga too. I used to run about 2 miles for 5 days/week. With that it was hard to do yoga before and too tired after. Now I have a week of variety, where I do yoga or run or other kind of workout each day and also add a resting day. Its been pretty good so far.

I used to run for longer periods of time (well, long for me, 45-60 mins a few times per week), but I decided to switch it up and recently started doing sprints instead and have a love/hate relationship with them. I looooove the beginning of the sprint (especially if I'm listening to a good song) and I feel like I can run forever but by the end of the sprint I feel like I might die  :43: and when I stop the sprint, there's a horrible moment where I'm gasping for air and feel like I can't get enough.  :21:  (Sorry I am just loving these emoticons haha)

And then when I recover and am ready for my next sprint I'm back in love with it again. And at the end of my sprint training I feel so good. :24:

Bahaha, I was doing sprints yesterday, and I got a stitch in my CHEST! That has never happened to me before!! So I feel you on the might-die thing. :)

YogaByCandace likes this

Yes! Yoga makes running so much better. 

I usually get in a few 3-4 mile runs a week, working up to 13.1... this winter will be awesome :)

I found that incorporating a foam roller to my pre and post stretching/yoga is THE BEST. It's like a hybrid practice I came up with.. haha. 

A lot of people in my office are runners, and I am constantly told two things: Pace myself, and spend at least 20 minutes stretching after a run. It took me a while (about a year) to actually follow that advice, and I really wish I would have sooner. It makes all the difference in the world. 

I totally agree with Jake: foam rollers are the best! My calf muscles used to feel super tight and hurt really bad after a long run. But, once I learned how to use a foam roller, I felt so much better and didn't get the awful tightness any more.

The reason why I started doing yoga was actually running. I developed ITB syndrom a couple of years ago, and after some googling I found an injury prevention yoga video for runners which I started doing regularly. From there, I started doing other videos from the same place, and so it all started with yoga.

I run 2-3 times a week between 6 and 12 km (sorry, I'm all metric). Last year, I did a half marathon, and I might do another one next year. But recently, I also started trail running, and I enjoy it a lot. For me it's more about the experience of being outside than actually improving my stats.

YogaByCandace and andiphant like this

The reason why I started doing yoga was actually running. I developed ITB syndrom a couple of years ago, and after some googling I found an injury prevention yoga video for runners which I started doing regularly. From there, I started doing other videos from the same place, and so it all started with yoga.

I run 2-3 times a week between 6 and 12 km (sorry, I'm all metric). Last year, I did a half marathon, and I might do another one next year. But recently, I also started trail running, and I enjoy it a lot. For me it's more about the experience of being outside than actually improving my stats.

Trail running is the best!

Oh I love running too. I love longer runs, 15 k and I just feel like I could go on forever. I do sprints too and love when I can feel improvement.

But I tend to get injuries - probably because I advance too fast and on speed and distance at the same time. Right now I´m trying to heal my hip and slowly add kilometres - really slowly!! 

ITB syndrome? Could you explain what that is please?  :5:

Ha ha ha, that´s exactly what sprints feel like! I think this is appropriate, when you´ve completed a sprint training:  :7: and  :39:

I try to alternate running and yoga. My longest run was 5.5 miles, but I'm not very fast yet. Any tips for calf cramps?

Good for you!! I too am not fast but I've recently decided that endurance is more important to me than speed. I still work on making myself faster but I don't obsess about it as much as I used to. Calf cramps hmm...maybe since you're running longer you should upgrade your shoes? I also know that I would cramp up A LOT when I wasnt hydrated enough. I would suggest talking to a doctor though since I'm just a person on a yoga forum. <a href=http://www.freesmile

MrBalloonHands likes this

I'm also a runner, just completed my third half marathon 2 weeks ago. I don't run as much as I would like due to working nightshirts & bad air quality on my days off. I'm also pretty slack when it comes to stretching before/after runs, but I have found yoga on non-run days has loosened my hamstrings. I'm going to try putting a short pre/post run flow on my phone so I have no excuse not to do it when I run.

Linda and MrBalloonHands like this

I try to alternate running and yoga. My longest run was 5.5 miles, but I'm not very fast yet. Any tips for calf cramps?

I have had calf cramps since I was young - they can be really painful One thing, I have found out about my tendency to cramp is that it is often related to a low intake of calcium. The muscles use calcium when they work and when there are not enough calcium available they will tend to cramp. I am no doctor, this is from a completely layman´s perspective, but I will often just drink a glass of milk and that´ll do the trick. 

Hope it helps  :)

I had this problem too and there were a couple of things I did to prevent and get rid of them. I do a light warm-up before running and then do stretches, making sure not to forget my calves. After running, I love love love using a foam roller for my calves and hamstrings. It will be a little uncomfortable when you first start rolling your calves, but once you get used to it, it's like a massage for them! When I started using the foam roller with my cool-down stretches, I didn't get awful calf cramps any more. I hope this helps you! =)

I'm also a runner, just completed my third half marathon 2 weeks ago. I don't run as much as I would like due to working nightshirts & bad air quality on my days off. I'm also pretty slack when it comes to stretching before/after runs, but I have found yoga on non-run days has loosened my hamstrings. I'm going to try putting a short pre/post run flow on my phone so I have no excuse not to do it when I run.

I love your idea of putting a short yoga flow on your phone for when you run. I run a lot. Running led me to yoga in order to keep loose after long runs in marathon training. Now I've come to realize that yoga helps train you mentally as well.

andiphant likes this