andiphant

Any Other Runners?

33 posts in this topic

I was a high school and college runner- I started to do yoga as a way to counteract my lack of flexibility. It turns out that yoga helped big time with my IT Band syndrome

andiphant likes this

I run around 3-4 times a week. I find that running is something I need when I'm in a bad mood and need to clear my head, but yoga is something i need when I'm feeling stressed and anxious about something. What about you guys?

Yes! Running definitely can help clear a mood or give you time to think things out. Its amazing where my mind can wander during a run. I love yoga to clear my mind too but I know what you mean about it being different. In yoga I am so focused on breathing and poses its a break from all the other thinking, a good thing!

Good for you!! I too am not fast but I've recently decided that endurance is more important to me than speed. I still work on making myself faster but I don't obsess about it as much as I used to. Calf cramps hmm...maybe since you're running longer you should upgrade your shoes? I also know that I would cramp up A LOT when I wasnt hydrated enough. I would suggest talking to a doctor though since I'm just a person on a yoga forum. <a href=http://www.freesmile

What kind of shoes do you wear? I moved to Merrell Barefoot shoes and don't have any aches and pains... although you have to break them in a little bit at a time at first, only a mile or so until your feet get used to the more natural motion vs. the more thickly cushioned shoes most of us wore in the past. 

The reason why I started doing yoga was actually running. I developed ITB syndrom a couple of years ago, and after some googling I found an injury prevention yoga video for runners which I started doing regularly. From there, I started doing other videos from the same place, and so it all started with yoga.

I run 2-3 times a week between 6 and 12 km (sorry, I'm all metric). Last year, I did a half marathon, and I might do another one next year. But recently, I also started trail running, and I enjoy it a lot. For me it's more about the experience of being outside than actually improving my stats.

I also love being outdoors and trail running. We just moved to a beautiful place with tons of trails and area to explore, a great way for me to go out with my dog and enjoy it all together. Only he wants to stop to pee on everything, lol! It was been very damp and foggy though, a few weeks ago there were wet leaves on rocks and I suddenly slipped face first, caught myself with my hand and got cut up and had to go home for some first aid. I've been wary of the wet trails since then but did go for a long walk last week at least. 

Yes! Running definitely can help clear a mood or give you time to think things out. Its amazing where my mind can wander during a run. I love yoga to clear my mind too but I know what you mean about it being different. In yoga I am so focused on breathing and poses its a break from all the other thinking, a good thing!

I agree! Yoga and meditation is a way of controlling my attention and that way give myself a break. When running, it´s the only time I let my mind decide for itself where to go and that is so liberating in another way. Sometimes I come up with solution to problems while I run, other times I realise that I have been concerned about something without realising it.  :sweatingbullets:

I run too, but I was motivated the other way - for the cardio to balance with all the yoga!

My runs are around the same distance at 3.5 miles, no companion though! I'm considering training for a half marathon next year since I wasn't sore after running 6 miles one day during vacation.  I run outside on concrete though, so I slowly want to build up endurance to lessen knee impact.

Are your quads and hamstrings pretty even in strength? With yoga, my hamstrings used to be sore for a few days (DOMS I think, not overstretching), and then if I try to do a bow pose, my knees hurt (feel like ligaments are getting pulled) once I try to grab them.  I also heard distance running uses hamstrings more than quads.  So, I suspect my quads are weaker and am trying to add in wall sits to even it out and protect my knee joints.

My dad had us running since we were kids (probably age 7 at least) and we always stretched before and after, I think this set my body up to always feel natural running since I've always done it. My leg muscles feel strong and even but I will feel tight after a run especially if I haven't been in awhile. I can usually get them nice and loosened up again with yoga. I do get extra tightness in my hips the most so pigeon pose and other hip openers are a welcome relief for that. 

Does anyone else run in a city and have to deal with cars? If so, what do you do to ensure runner safety?

I run along a street that has four way stops (then I avoid stopping at traffic lights!), but some cars still try to "roll" through a stop.  I usually wait to ensure eye contact before crossing the street, and I hold up my hand to say "thanks" as I run across. At least I hope it looks like I'm thanking them instead of raising a "stop" sign! My peace signs are a bit awkward, so I just keep it simple as one hand.

My local news recently reported that a bus fatally hit a jogger at 6 am in the morning (before daylight).  The bus was turning left, from the west going north, while the jogger was crossing on the north side from west to east.  It just made me realize we need to constantly look over our shoulders for traffic both ways.  Buses should be moving a lot more slowly than cars, so the article surprised me. I also avoid running at night too, and I have some running shirts that are very bright neon orange. I also wear an ID bracelet (road ID) since I only have my keys.

I love to run. I run 3 - 4 times a week. I HATE sprints too! I discovered doing yoga right after a run is crazy amazing!! I've been doing yoga off and on for almost 20 years but have become addicted to it after starting it back up again last year to help with a hip issue from running - it has allowed me to continue to be able to run.

Does anyone else run in a city and have to deal with cars? If so, what do you do to ensure runner safety?

I run along a street that has four way stops (then I avoid stopping at traffic lights!), but some cars still try to "roll" through a stop.  I usually wait to ensure eye contact before crossing the street, and I hold up my hand to say "thanks" as I run across. At least I hope it looks like I'm thanking them instead of raising a "stop" sign! My peace signs are a bit awkward, so I just keep it simple as one hand.

My local news recently reported that a bus fatally hit a jogger at 6 am in the morning (before daylight).  The bus was turning left, from the west going north, while the jogger was crossing on the north side from west to east.  It just made me realize we need to constantly look over our shoulders for traffic both ways.  Buses should be moving a lot more slowly than cars, so the article surprised me. I also avoid running at night too, and I have some running shirts that are very bright neon orange. I also wear an ID bracelet (road ID) since I only have my keys.

I run in my neighborhood which is pretty lame w/ traffic, but I have had a few older ladies who couldn't see far over the steering wheel play chicken with me. they won. I do the same - I slow down if we are at a crossroads and if they wave me on or stop, I go - otherwise I stand in place until they go, muttering under my breath about how rude they are lol. I ALWAYS run facing traffic coming towards me. I want to be able to jump out of the way if they are coming too close.