waxsnax

Help w/ Difficult Asanas

3 posts in this topic

Can anyone help me with ways to modify and build strength for eka pada bakasana and eka pada galavasana?? I've been trying to build a small platform for my head with mats/ foamy things but I don't know if that's the right way to build up to the pose...I really wanna fly! HELP! :) 

Thanks! 

:15:

Hi, welcome to the fourm!
For Eka Pada bakasana, to warm up try bringing each leg into the body and sucking it in, then gliding it up and down about 5 times. THe pose requires a lot of upper body strength, so that helps. Also, do bakasana, but then slip one leg off and onto the other and back. If you can do this action, you can definitely do eka pada bakasana. :)

Flying pigeon is a bit easier because you have your leg to support you. I would recommend you start with this, it's MUCH easier than Eka pada bakasana, which is very difficult and never stops becoming difficult. For that one, try to hang out with one foot on the other leg in a modified chair pose. The trick for galavasana I think is to get the hips as high as possible and to round your back. The higher the hips, the more secure you will feel. Shoot the leg up with a lot of energy.

For both poses, a lot of core is needed. If you are comfortable with inversions, also practice leg lowers with tripod. It helps a lot in building strength. Hope it helps!

brenskip55, afriske and waxsnax like this

Thanks soooo much. I really appreciate your advice. I have such a difficult time lifting my back leg up in flying pigeon... Maybe I'm just a little scared haha. I'll try your tips out at the gym today :)