Kellie

Side planks

4 posts in this topic

I have been trying to work on doing side planks but every time I get into position my wrists really start to hurt and I fall. I have been working really hard on making sure my hands are grounded with my finger tips and thumb like you have suggested.   However my wrists are really starting to get sore and they ache after practice. They don't hurt to bad when I'm using both of them but using just one in practice is killing me. 

Just double check that you're "plugged in" in all the right places. If you are, you may need to work on strengthening the little muscles in the hands and wrists. You can do wrist curls, reverse wrist curls, you can use those stress balls and squeeze like there's no tomorrow, release and then squeeeeeze again. I think that may help, if that's the issue. 

Another thought - check your alignment to make sure that the shoulder is not aligned past the wrist - if you do that it causes the wrist to bend past 90 degrees which can be problematic. Try this in front of a mirror to make sure the heel of the hand is aligned either just underneath the shoulder, or even just slightly forward. If all that checks out then it's probably an issue of strengthening, just like Candace said. So take it slow, and maybe don't hold the pose for so long until you build up strength.

Everyone has made GREAT comments!

I would like to add that your wrist has lots of very tiny ligaments and tendons, so always be very very careful.  I would highly recommend gentle wrist stretches before you begin.  Also, a great wrist strengthener is to start in regular plank, and lift your hips up into downward dog.  Then, flow back to plank and keep going back and forth until you can't go anymore! Do that every day, and you will hopefully see some strengthening in those wrists! I used to not even be able to hold DFD for 5-6 breaths and after about 7 months I have a pretty hefty arm balance and inversion practice. You will get there!!  Namaste!