Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
brenskip55

Any Sanskrit Experts Out there?

8 posts in this topic

I've been wanting to get a specific tattoo since teacher training. I want to get "sthira sukham asanam" in Sanskrit characters. For those who don't know, this translates more or less to Steadiness and Ease in a meditative posture. I'm also curious how it is broken down - what would Sthira Sukham look like?

BUT I'm terrified that I will end up getting the wrong picture, and end up with something that translates incorrectly. Anyone have a solid resource photo of this phrase in Sanskrit?

afriske and YogaByCandace like this

Not an expert, but I happened to see this translation comparison of the sutras, and this exact phrase appears in II:46. Do you wish to keep the exact sutra intact? Each of the 4 main interpretations state this specifically about asana.

http://www.milesneale.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/Yoga-Sutras-Verse-Comparison.pdf

When I first read your post, I only say "steadiness and ease" and really liked it.  Now I'm finding more references to sthira & sukha (but one would need to translate the &). I think that's what you were suggesting by Sthira Sukham? Perhaps that is something to consider?

Sorry, I realize this wasn't much help. I like learning about other people's preferred interpretations of sanskrit and the sutras.

afriske likes this

I have 'om sri ganesha namaha' tattooed in sankrit on my arm and I was terrified before getting it because I could only pick out the om. I wound up going to this website where you can hire freelancers. I put in Sanskrit expert, and hired three different ones and asked them to send me the phrase in Sanskrit. They were all exactly the same and matched up with my google search as well, so I went with it. I think it was elance.com that I used. Fiverr.com is also another place to look. Hope that helps! 

afriske, brenskip55 and AnandaYoga like this

From reddit's /r/yoga user yogibattle (he's been posting sutra discussions over there, so I asked him for II.46!):

स्थिरसुखमासनम् ॥४६॥ 

Another point of reference. Good suggestion from Candace to verify from multiple sources!

afriske likes this

I just pasted the romanized and sanskrit characters to my friend whose mother tongue is Marathi. So you might check with any friends who may speak similar dialects that came from sanskrit.  They use the same characters as sanskrit.  He said it's correct.  I think his dad speaks some sanskrit too. If you can't find other experts, let me know and I can see if he can ask his father, too?

afriske and YogaByCandace like this

Is the original Devanagari script acceptable for you? This is what I come up with.

Untitled2.jpg.d0ab0f06183f4b0acb84de7fb4

I’m sorry, I like joking around sometimes. There is no way I could have done that. I just looked it up at the website from Tilak Pyle, bottom of the page http://www.tilakpyle.com/sanskrit_texts.htm Image credit to website.

If I split the words up I get something like this accept the last word isn't really asanam.

स्थिर सुख आसन

YogaByCandace likes this