msinkblot

Choosing/ customizing mala beads

13 posts in this topic

Hi all!

I'm wondering what you guys look for mala beads? I want something to ground me, to give me a sense of security and awareness of everyday things. I am in general very airy and wispy (I would say a stone like lapis lazuli actually aggravates my general state). I always feel untethered and easily overwhelmed, hence my love of arm balances and inversions, I think! THey really, ironically, tether me to the ground by reminding me of my foundation. For the mala, I was thinking of including African bloodstone, onyx and lava stone to it... does that make sense? Any other suggestions for grounding stones? Where do you guys usually buy your mala bracelets? (I'm getting mine customized on Etsy if possible)

Thanks!

MalaKamala likes this

I personally bought a a cheap set of mala beads for meditation off etsy, but, it wasa from China. It served its purpose for me - I just wanted to feel the beads and didn't care about the material or that it was elastic bound instead of being handtied in between each bead.  Other etsy sellers who make their own should be legitimate with better quality sources!

msinkblot likes this

Omg, this is perfect! I also love how specific stones have such different energetic personalities. I'm such a stone geek (if there is even such a thing). I do love Mala Kamala but it's too expensive for me ;_;. In the end, I just got a custom-order from Mountain Mala with 39 onyx beads, 39 marbled obsidian 39 African bloodstone beads (for a grounding mala). I don't want stones that are too spacey because they aggravate my dreams and make my third eye too active (if there is such a thing. There is for me!).

This the shop:

https://www.etsy.com/shop/MountainMalas

She seems to make their malas with a lot of love. I'm going to wait for it to arrive and report back about how I find it. :D

yogafire likes this

Nice! This is inspiring to upgrade my mala beads!  If you find better sources, please share. I feel like a lot of these are open to interpretation.  I found some corresponding to the chakras here: https://www.etsy.com/listing/187266791/seven-chakra-balancing-mala-necklace?

Now I know what you meant by your third eye too active.  Maybe I need to wear some grounding ones to sleep, too, so I stop disturbing my husband! :)

msinkblot likes this

Buying and choosing a mala is a very personal choice and with so much choice these days it can be definitely tricky knowing how to choose (and what to look out for!) 

Edited by LarryD517
removed references to outside commercial website
msinkblot and yogafire like this

Thank you for sharing the collections link!  Your descriptions really help see what can work together and make it very attractive to inquire about a custom order. :) Would you happen to have images of the beads / gemstones that you can put next to the descriptions on the crystal meanings page? Right now I keep cross-referencing between the different collections to try to figure it out since I have a couple chakras I want to enhance.

Edited by yogafire
Added third party site link I used to help decide buy a customized mala

So! I took the plunge and treated myself to a mala with intentions I picked!  They designed a beautiful mala for me with the stones that meant the most to me. I had no idea how they would look together, but they work together beautifully!  

Also! A huge thanks to @msinkblot for the original inspiration - I never thought about using a mala to also address my sleep issues! :)

of course! I attach a picture that Sarah took for me outdoors since the beads do look different in sunlight. Luckily, we have the same wrist sizes so she was able to model for me!

I also show it on my own wrist and as a double necklace indoors, taken last night, so more yellow hue. I'm probably wearing it more indoors anyway, so it's interesting to me to compare the colors.

Another interesting fact.. I chose stones that I thought would help me the most with what I want to focus on - being true to myself and not being afraid or anxious to express how I feel.  I ended up having heart, throat, and some crown chakra (helps an overactive mind and assist with sleep problems). I skipped over root chakra without realizing it, but I'm happy with these intentions.

mala outside-001.JPG

mala indoor.jpg

mala double necklace indoor.jpg

msinkblot and MalaKamala like this

It looks beautiful!! You have similar wrists to me as well :D It's really hard to find a mala that fits perfectly huh? Although mine wraps around 6 times as well quite nice. Interesting choice of stones, as well! Is that lapis lazuli and amethyst? Very gorgeous. I attached a picture of mine as well. It's not very clear, but it's mostly grounding stones. It's a bit intense compared to yours, I think! But I swear it has helped my handstand practice. If it's psychological, it counts right? Haha.

13183247_10154170618427138_457805252_n.jpg

MalaKamala and yogafire like this

The red thread makes the stones pop out! I really love the patterned stones, which you have in yours, too.

I agree that even if it is psychological, it counts because some of those asanas require mental breakthroughs!

I have lapis lazuli-chrysocolla (good eye!), flourite (some are more green than purple), and howlite is the white. 

MalaKamala likes this

Oh wow @yogafire it looks absolutely stunning on you - it was clearly meant to be! I am so happy that I could create your dream mala for you, it was an absolute pleasure!

@msinkblot your mala looks great too - obsidian with onyx or some kind of jasper with a larger lava rock at the end? Love it!! I agree with @yogafire the red does make it pop.

Lots of love to you all xxx

@yogafireI have a couple of shots I took of yours which I will add to it soon! xxx

On 03/05/2016 at 4:57 AM, yogafire said:

of course! I attach a picture that Sarah took for me outdoors since the beads do look different in sunlight. Luckily, we have the same wrist sizes so she was able to model for me!

I also show it on my own wrist and as a double necklace indoors, taken last night, so more yellow hue. I'm probably wearing it more indoors anyway, so it's interesting to me to compare the colors.

Another interesting fact.. I chose stones that I thought would help me the most with what I want to focus on - being true to myself and not being afraid or anxious to express how I feel.  I ended up having heart, throat, and some crown chakra (helps an overactive mind and assist with sleep problems). I skipped over root chakra without realizing it, but I'm happy with these intentions.

mala outside-001.JPG

mala indoor.jpg

mala double necklace indoor.jpg

Love love love this!