Michellew

Keeping it fresh

3 posts in this topic

I'm back! The last time I posted I was beyond panicked and anxious about starting teaching. I've since started subbing at a studio and am picking up quite a few classes. My next hurdle is creating new, fresh sequences. I find that I really want to stick to my favorite flows because... Well they flow! I know I can add in variations focusing on specifics like hip or shoulder openers, for example, and switch up poses here and there but i still feel like the sequences seem the same. Additionally, a lot of our students are older and many classes are "gentle" so I feel bound to mostly beginner poses. I guess I'm just curious about others opinions or experiences with sequencing. 

brenskip55 and YogaByCandace like this

Hooray! Glad you're settling in. I teach a lot of gentle classes as well, and I can tell you that I felt the same way - like I was just repeating the same thing all the time. So I'd just try to keep it fresh either by putting a different spin on the poses, you know doing the same poses but with new and different cues, or switch up the sequencing. In all honesty, there's something to be said for repetition for beginners. It's GOOD for them to get a good solid handle on the basics, so don't be so hard on yourself about it. I bet they don't even notice :

Michellew and YogaByCandace like this

I like to switch things up by doing one or two different spins on vinyasas within my regular flows, if that makes sense. I come up with them when I'm playing around in my own practice, or I'll pick and choose something fun from a class I take :) I do agree with Brenna- I bet your students don't even notice, and repetition of fundamentals is good for beginners, but I love that you're always looking to improve! 

Michellew likes this