Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
YogaLr

Yoga can increase height?

4 posts in this topic

Dear friends,
I heard Yoga can increase height by 2-3 inches, that's true?
I will be happy for good explanation and a guide for beginner which Yoga is the best for it and how and often to do it.

Thanks!

2-3 inches is quite a lot. That probably happens if one is starting off with poor posture and slouching, and yoga can help with posture and teach you how to engage your core to stand up straight. 

It can also depend on how your spine is currently or if you have very tight muscles supporting your spine that is making your body contract. If the spine is compressed (e.g. it has lost some of its natural curve), then elongating the spine (sitting up straight and extending in yoga poses) can help.  After my first 2 years of yoga, I noticed I was closer to 5'3" than 5'2" and thought I could update my driver's license.  But this was only a difference of about 1/2 an inch, not 2-3 inches!

Then I developed some chronic neck pain 2 years ago, and now I'm closer to 5'2" again.  I found out recently through an x-ray that my neck has lost its natural curve (C-shape with the opening facing the back) and is more straight now.  So, I have compression contributing to my height.  And yes, yoga is helping with the pain relief, but there can be other issues going on that yoga cannot solve on its own. It can take months to years to notice a height difference.

What i am understand from you, yoga doesn't increase height but that change your posture from bowing to an erect back.
That's true?

Yes, yoga can change your posture that way, and as a result, increase height.  But I wouldn't expect 2-3 inches unless starting with very slouched shoulders or neck.