heatherlynne

Pain in Groin Area

4 posts in this topic

Hi there,

I am a new yoga teacher and I am still getting familiar with all of the injuries out there and what yoga poses to use in order to help certain injuries. One of my students has severe pain when she is sitting in a cross legged position as well as pigeon. However, this pain is only in the inner left thigh towards the groin area, not in the back, hip, or in the rest of the leg. She is okay if she does pigeon on the right side. She said it doesn't feel like muscle pain but more so like a pinched nerve. I have given her modifications in postures, but I am wondering what this could be? She said it's been going on for awhile (over a year). She only started yoga within the past 6 months. It would help to have a better idea of what is physically going on with her so I could give her more appropriate modifications or find postures that will help reduce the pain all together. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Heather

YogaByCandace likes this

Huh. Interesting. Can she do frog pose without pain? Wide leg split? I thinking playing around with different poses to check out hip rotation vs knee rotation might help to offer up some clues if she's interested. Kind of hard to figure out what's going on without knowing more, but that's where I'd start. Only if she's up for it, obviously.. if it's like actual pain I'd just have her leave it alone or encourage her to see a doctor. Unfortunately you have to protect yourself first in the unlikely but totally possible scenario that she could sue you if your suggestions make it worse. :unsure:

Thank you! I will check with her and see if she's comfortable trying some more poses. And you're totally right, I need to be careful with my suggestions. I really appreciate your feedback! :)

Welcome and glad to have you here.

The remark, severe pain, is kind of alarming so have to be really careful with that. That is something for a medical professional to have a look at.

We need more information to narrow down the possibilities:

Does she sit a large amount?

Does she have a large amount of stress in her life?

Can you have her do a Low Lunge We will call the right knee forward the right side to avoid confusion. Watch her very carefully to try and notice the differences between sides. Pay careful attention to the depth of the pose on each side. And how far forward her torso is leaning when doing right and left side. This leaning will originate in her lower back, so watch her lower back carefully for differences from each side. And also ask her to tell about the differences. The lunge may or may not cause pain, that isn't what we are looking for here. It's the difference or imbalance.