Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Alan1414

Help with bettering my yoga

6 posts in this topic

Hello all! I've been doing yoga for about a year. I'm loving it. I mainly follow candace on YouTube. It's by far my favorite channel. I'm really wanting to advance my yoga and be able to do some of the more advance poses that candace can do. I know I need to get stronger, flexible and better balance. I'm looking for a good gym routine and different workouts to help my yoga. I'm currently just doing standard weight lifting. If anyone has some good workouts I can do at the gym that would be awesome. Thanks in advance. 

I'd suggest saving up for a few private lessons. A trained instructor can best asses your strengths and weaknesses and might be able to offer specific suggestions. I was "video taught" for a couple of months before I started attending live classes at my gym (one monthly fee for unlimited classes). The knowledge attained from talking with an instructor is immeasurable. 

I've been wanting to take classes. I know I would get more out of my practice and hopefully become part of a yoga community and make yoga friends. 

There's two gyms in my area that have yoga classes as part of the monthly fee. Unfortunately, the class times are during my work hours. I don't have any yoga studios near me either. The area I live in doesn't have much of a yoga presence. It's sad. 

Gyms offer personal training sessions, so you can ask if any of the yoga instructors can offer a private for you after your work hours.

Otherwise, Candace has a blog series on Wed. Workouts on how weight lifting gave her more strength for her yoga practice. In general, I think working on core will help both strength and  balance. Anyway, it's a gradual process - keep up with the videos and don't feel like you aren't making progress - it isn't always visual. 

I agree it is a gradual process and the learning curve is really fun! I like the point when I can't do a pose (whether it have been crow or some other easy pose in the beginning...) and I'm just going about my usual yoga practice without particularly doing it unless I feel particularly inspired and then the pose 'arrives' for me. Once the pose arrives, you have less to work on in particular with that pose anymore, haha... So I appreciate the moment just before it comes. Personally, I think that core is important for stability, but you also have to be patient and know each pose comes with time, and to enjoy the journey towards it. Yoga isn't a competitive sport, after all, but a practice of exploration.

I have no experience with weight training, but I hear that it is good for strengthening the muscles so inversions and arm balances are easier. I think it's a great complement! But I think that a normal yoga practice can do the same over time, especially if you focus on engaging your core. In the past, I had periods in which I made no progress to speak of, but I enjoyed the meditational aspect of yoga asana, and progress did happen in a very gratifying way! Nowadays, I'm more interested in challenging myself, though, as my handstand practice definitely does >_<  but it took me awhile to get to this point. Now I enjoy a more vigorous practice, so it is really up to you. :)

Candace has some of the best videos out there in my opinion, but if you are looking for instructions on how to do a specific pose look up kinoyoga on YouTube. I don't care for her other videos, but for specific poses Kino is really good.