Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Anahata

Confessions of a Yoga Teacher: So Proud of You

8 posts in this topic

Thanks, Anahata. And good point that any publicity is good publicity. I think I've probably sent a lot of traffic their way as people try to figure out the name of the pants (I stupidly didn't take a picture of the tag). Someone mentioned they had different compression in different areas to help support muscle movement or whatever, but I really can't imagine why I need a little more support on my upper inner thigh. I mean really. Haha. The pants, I'm told, have been discontinued. 

brenskip55 likes this

19 minutes ago, YogaByCandace said:

The pants, I'm told, have been discontinued

Just noticed this thread, my two cents....no one knows what fashion trend will succeed. I'm not defending them, don't know enough about the issue, but if you look back at the last 400 years of fashion, is it possible that experimentation and new styles might have crossed the lines?

Few Victorian women displayed décolletage...but somehow (and thankfully) it's replaced the high neck victorian blouse

YogaByCandace likes this

That's an example of choosing to show off existing assets. Not hiding them and obscuring one's natural body.

Anyway, you still bring up a good point - corsets were no better and were along the same concept as thigh gap pants. People still wear spanx to slim their bodies. Candace's main point is that this supposedly new style preys on insecurities and even brings up new ones that people probably never thought of as an issue.

YogaByCandace likes this

Yeah you definitely have a point. 

Someone in the comment section, who seems like they have very close knit ties to Lulu, said that the pants were designed to support different areas of the legs with different amounts of compression. So perhaps that wasn't the intent of the pant, and I was just misinformed by two of the sales staff. Either way, the whole experience left a very bad taste in my mouth because they were using the thigh gap thing as its main selling point. 

It's sickening, Candace :(:( The whole idea someone would COME UP with such an idea is deeply unsettling. A thigh gap is just... a gap. It is as empty as you can become by making people to negate their own power and focus on factors they have no control over except by deeply destructive habits.  It makes me not want to think about the people behind the people who make products for mass-selling! It gives me that icky feeling, even if their products were good. 

If one or two mistakes are made I think most would cut them a break, I would. But this company has a long history and it is not nice. Things can only be hidden or made to sound nice for so long before people start to see things as they really are.

Even the Urban Dictionary gets this one. Keep in mind this is the Urban Dictionary.

Quote from Urban Dictionary (I am not posting a link because they have stuff on there sometimes)

4 Thigh-Gap 

The space between your legs, which for some reason has become an obsession. It is a stupid thing that was invented by society to hurt girls' self-image. It can cause pain, depression, and even an eating disorder. Fyi, it isn't even about being "fat" or "thin" it is entirely based on the way your hip bones were created.