msinkblot

"palm" injury?

6 posts in this topic

So... I was going into handstand today and I could feel something move in the little finger side of my right palm, and a piercing pain followed. Now I can't put my hand at a 90 degrees angle without it hurting, but otherwise it's fine. There is no pain unless I put it in that position. Any ideas what happened? Is it a sprain? How do I treat it? I don't feel any pain at all otherwise...

I feel so sad because I may not be able to do normal yoga anymore :( How long will it heal!? I hope it will magically go away -_- I guess this is the yoga. Sigh....

:(  Injuries do suck.  But, one good thing though is as you learn how to modify around injuries, you start to realize how more advanced you are in your practice in terms of self-awareness.  That's the main thing consoling me. :) 

I usually tweak my wrists if I do too much, like handstand, but this sounds more severe if you felt something move though right before the pain happened. Was all the hand pressure on the outside edge of your right hand instead of being distributed?

If it doesn't hurt in normal position, it might be better to just rest.  You can ice if it starts to throb, but you might consider just letting inflammation occur (for the first two days) for your body to promote natural healing. I have no idea if it's a sprain or not, but a new theory for treating sprains is to actually allow some of the initial inflammation to happen without icing to allow all the extra blood flow to be there initially for healing.  This has worked for my husband, who has gone through multiple sprains over the past few years, and he healed more quickly when he didn't ice right away.  He did ice later after the first few days passed.

In the meantime, why don't you modify with forearm balances instead if you still want to have your inversions?  Or, take it easy, and just do legs up a wall as your inversion practice for awhile.

brenskip55 and msinkblot like this

I think I might do what you said. I agree about injuries promoting self-awareness. You have to be extra careful and extra slow so you don't aggravate an injury. :P 

I checked this morning and the pain is no longer there... I guess not exerting it in any way helped, but I don't think I'm going to be handstanding anytime soon to play it safe... I don't want to cause another injury accidentally. As my husband says, don't take these pulls lightly! >_> It's easy to cause a deeper injury if I'm not careful. I'm just thankful it's healed enough that there is no pain. How mysterious! Because otherwise my hand seems perfectly fine. Any idea what muscle pulled? Also, there is no sign on the outside- no inflammation, nothing.

It's good to hear that it is hopefully not a serious injury.

There is a couple common causes for these types.

Fingers should be spread evenly and equal weight spread all over the hand with a focus toward the index finger mound. If one finger is sticking out that finger will take more load and stresses and is more vulnerable to injury. Both traumatic injury and long-term injury.

Everyone that does this type of yoga should know and understand the information in the link below. But it doesn't seem to be known very well in yoga. I have never seen it taught anywhere. I had to go outside yoga to find it. In the link they talk about a particular bone but it is the entire alignment in the wrist and hand.

Sore Wrists During Push ups? Let’s Fix That.

And you can also try hanging from the hands which a very good thing to do.

AND never believe anything I write here. Test it out to see if it actually works! If it doesn't come back and we will see what we can do.

msinkblot likes this

Thanks for the info! That link is very useful. I have been trying to pay attention to wrist alignment since I have had wrist issues in the past. It's easy to hyperextend for me, and not to focus my weight evenly... I've been trying to practice the index finger thing after watching the kino video on hyperextending wrists. It's a work everyday to be conscious of that.

In this case I am pretty sure it is not a wrist injury. The pain was a shooting pain originating from the deepest part of my right palm, higher up near the little finger. It only appears if I twist it from downdog > wheel pose (so not doing that anymore). I feel stability when in plank (I've been trying to be even more conscious, so maybe it's a good thing?) when I did some yoga yesterday and today. I'm not sure what kind of thing happened, so I was curious as to whether this happened to anyone before!

It's hard to figure out these things sometimes. When we are on our hands it is all one connection from the fingers to the shoulder and even up to the hips. So if one strong part, say the shoulder is out alignment the stress will go to the weakest or most vulnerable part of the connection. Maybe one finger or the wrist. That link above sets up the proper base and sort of forces the entire connection to the shoulders into proper alignment which is safer for all the parts. I know the video talks specifically about the wrist but it is all one connection and proper alignment for all the connected parts. 

Are you practicing on a firm surface? Soft carpet can sometimes cause problems.