YogaNoob

Need advice here...how often should i do yoga?

22 posts in this topic

This might sound a bit silly, but how often should i do my yoga? i come from a weight training background. as you all know, in WT no same muscle in trained on consecutive days. there are these 'rest days'. i was wondering whether yoga has these rest days, too. the thing is i'm doing my yoga by referring to BK Iyengar's book 'Light on Yoga'. He has given a course in his book. i was wondering whether i should do the same routine everyday of the week or, say, three days a week. or, should i alternate between two or more sequences? like sequence A on mon, wed, fri and sequence B on tue, thu, and sat? 

thanks in advance.

YogaByCandace likes this

As yoga has a nearly infinite combinations of exercises, you could work a different muscle group in a different way practically everyday of the week. Some days you could work on strengthening other days focus on stretching or balance. Some days you could work on a flow, holding some poses for a shorter length of time (five breaths), other days you can hold different poses for five or ten minutes  

I don't think it's the same as lifting. Many here practice every day of the year (I do). 

YogaByCandace and YogaNoob like this

On 3/20/2016 at 2:11 PM, LarryD517 said:

As yoga has a nearly infinite combinations of exercises, you could work a different muscle group in a different way practically everyday of the week. Some days you could work on strengthening other days focus on stretching or balance. Some days you could work on a flow, holding some poses for a shorter length of time (five breaths), other days you can hold different poses for five or ten minutes  

I don't think it's the same as lifting. Many here practice every day of the year (I do). 

thanks for taking the time to ans my question. i agree with what you said. can i just add one more question to it: does one learn new poses by doing the sequences or do i have to learn the poses first and then perform the sequences? thanks again.

Usually the sequences are warm up the muscles to help you do another pose. And if it's a good instructor, the instructor will walk you through how to do a pose.

I would say just try it out, and don't worry if you can't do it. Just try another time (without pushing yourself to the point of injury).  If later you want to better understand a certain pose, you can always look up tips or watch pose breakdowns from videos, such as Candace's pose breakdown play list here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDn8ldh7GWo&list=PL8xm_b9xYx_Buxm3RAeAJrFOhE4J5KAJ9

YogaNoob likes this

@YogaNoob I would say to practice a minimum of 2x a week to truly experience the benefits of yoga.

I practice daily, and this may sounds sort of abstract to you right now but you will learn as awareness increases: do what FEELS good.  Your body might need different things at different times but it is really good at asking for what it wants if you listen.

Good luck!! Ask as many questions as you need!

littleblackdress and YogaNoob like this

9 hours ago, AnandaYoga said:

@YogaNoob I would say to practice a minimum of 2x a week to truly experience the benefits of yoga.

I practice daily, and this may sounds sort of abstract to you right now but you will learn as awareness increases: do what FEELS good.  Your body might need different things at different times but it is really good at asking for what it wants if you listen.

Good luck!! Ask as many questions as you need!

hello there. thanks for dropping by. if you don't mind would please state the pattern or structure of your yoga practice that you follow, say, on weekly basis. thanks again.

AnandaYoga likes this

I will try to give answers for your questions starting from your first.

Most yoga attempts to work all the muscles in the body. If done well does not over strain the muscles so rest days are not required. Maybe 1 day of rest per week, traditionally Sunday. Think of lengthening and strengthening the muscles at longer lengthens.

If you are learning poses with a sequence maybe try to slow the sequence so you have more time to learn the pose.

These are some different options that people practice: Sun Salutations only, everyday, for years, nothing else. There are some types that have a set sequence of specific poses that never change and only do that sequence. Some do something different everyday and never do the same thing twice. 

That is a wide range of options. Try to learn some variety then find something that you like or need and do that. Candace has a large number of videos and 30 day programs for much variety. Maybe try some instruction if you have some available. There is yoga in India isn't there?:)

@YogaNoob

I practice every day for usually an hour.  Some days it is restorative, but mostly I open with some sun salutations (sometimes a modification of the primary series in Ashtanga Yoga if I'm feeling rather energetic) and the practice arm balances and inversions.  I also play around with sequencing for classes.  It really depends on what my body wants :)

13 minutes ago, AnandaYoga said:

@YogaNoob

I practice every day for usually an hour.  Some days it is restorative, but mostly I open with some sun salutations (sometimes a modification of the primary series in Ashtanga Yoga if I'm feeling rather energetic) and the practice arm balances and inversions.  I also play around with sequencing for classes.  It really depends on what my body wants :)

thank you again for answering . it did alleviate some of my doubts. but now i have a new question for you. did you learn poses while 'playing around' with the practice or did you learn the poses first and then applied them or used them in your sequences. i watch all these youtube videos and i see yogis/yoginis performing sequences with advanced poses and my jaw just drops while watching them. for example, take a heart opening sequence that ends with wheel pose or urdhva dhanurasana. do i practice that sequence again and again until i'm proficient in those poses or do i practice each pose and then apply them to these heart or hip openers or restorative or flexibility building sequences?

sorry, if i posted a long one. i'm just too excited because i already see the result of the little practice i've accomplished so far. thanks again.

3 hours ago, Anahata said:

I will try to give answers for your questions starting from your first.

Most yoga attempts to work all the muscles in the body. If done well does not over strain the muscles so rest days are not required. Maybe 1 day of rest per week, traditionally Sunday. Think of lengthening and strengthening the muscles at longer lengthens.

If you are learning poses with a sequence maybe try to slow the sequence so you have more time to learn the pose.

These are some different options that people practice: Sun Salutations only, everyday, for years, nothing else. There are some types that have a set sequence of specific poses that never change and only do that sequence. Some do something different everyday and never do the same thing twice. 

That is a wide range of options. Try to learn some variety then find something that you like or need and do that. Candace has a large number of videos and 30 day programs for much variety. Maybe try some instruction if you have some available. There is yoga in India isn't there?:)

thanks. i liked what you said and i agree with you. as for your question. yes, there are yoga studios in india, but i'm kind of a lone wolf type. so, i pretty much do things by myself.

It really depends on what you want to achieve, but generally speaking I recommend practicing yoga twice a week to start with, if you are feeling enough benefit stick with this, but if you feel you need more you can increase it gradually.

There are so many options that it may also depend on time and your schedule. :)

brenskip55 likes this

Pretty much everyone here has given some good advice. The cool thing about yoga is you can pretty much make your own schedule and practice as often as you'd like. As a beginner I jumped right into 3 days a week with an instructor - now that I've got nearly 5 years under my belt I've got my own repertoire of poses and no longer need the instructor, yet most weeks I practice nearly every day even if its only for a few minutes. 

YogaNoob likes this

On 4/6/2016 at 1:36 AM, Anugraha said:

Pretty much everyone here has given some good advice. The cool thing about yoga is you can pretty much make your own schedule and practice as often as you'd like. As a beginner I jumped right into 3 days a week with an instructor - now that I've got nearly 5 years under my belt I've got my own repertoire of poses and no longer need the instructor, yet most weeks I practice nearly every day even if its only for a few minutes. 

that's great! keep up the good work. and thanks for dropping by.

The best way to learn the sequence is to take classes so that you can become familiar with the poses.  Working with a teacher is very important for beginners because they can monitor your alignment and offer adjustments to ensure that you are doing the poses effectively.  Try out some heated yoga classes first because the heat will help your muscles relax which improves flexibility.  Also heated yoga will cause you to sweat a lot which will detoxify your organs.  There are different options of heated yoga that include bikram, heated vinyasa, and even heated vinyasa with weights.  You might also want to check out restorative and yin yoga classes.  Yin yoga will help you activate deep tissues.  You should start practicing at least 3 times per week, and this may be an ideal number of days to practice with a weight training regime.  Other wise the maximum number of days you should practice yoga, specifically more vigorous methods, in a week should be 6 because it is very important to have a day dedicated to letting your body rest and expand.  

It depends on you! I, personally, practice 15-30 minutes a day every day. On Wednesdays I do an hour because that's the day I do horseback riding and really need to work on calming my muscles. Some days I just don't feel like yoga though or I'm in too much pain, so I give myself a rest day.

Not everyone can do heated yoga due to health issues or it's just too uncomfortable. Some people just are too uncomfortable to do a formal class. It depends on who you are. I'm working up to going to a class. I suffer from horrible crowd anxiety due to autism, so I haven't felt comfortable with the idea of a class yet.

Think of it like weight training. If you're really in pain, you give yourself a rest day or you do really light weights. You also switch up your weights and routines a lot. Yoga is like that. Bored? Try a new pose!

the amount that you practice really depends on why you're doing yoga. regardless of what the reason is, if you want the benefits, practice every day, at least for a little while. 

i generally practice for 2 hours a day in one hour segments in a structured way (excluding classes and yoga lessons). i do it so much because I practice in order to go into samadhi, and achieve enlightenment. the path to awakening takes great discipline.

Hi, You can practice every day...but you shouldn’t do the same set of poses every day. Regular practice brings greater flexibility, good health and peace of mind.

You can practice yoga on daily basis. But its up to you because it depends on what you want to achieve. Generally you can practice full body yoga for 10 min and then add additional stretches whenever you feel any specific part of your body requires more attention. There are so many options that it may also depend on time and your schedule.

Its important to tune into how your body and mind feel and listen to what they need. As you advance your practice, if you listen:), you will gradually become more aware of you need. The most important thing is to listen and try and avoid "just doing yoga"...although sometimes just doing yoga might be the perfect thing lol!:)...but keep listening to your body overtime:)

Yoga can often be a not too strenuous activity so there really isn't much of a limit on how much you should do it. Of course if you're getting sore you might want to dial it back a bit but there's no reason you can't do a good lengthy exorcise every day if you have the time.