WorldRunner

My 39 Day Yoga for Flexibility Challenge

4 posts in this topic

Good morning!  I am new here and just starting the 39 day flexibility challenge.  Here is my first pic - I am working on my forward fold.  I am a runner so super tight in my hamstrings.  Thanks for any and all feedback.

IMG_3685.JPG

HighlightandConquer likes this

This is a wonderful choice to start with!! Bad habits are so easy to develop in forward folds.

Think, chest first!! Spine is long and shoulders back. Ankles, knees, and hips in one line :)

You are going to do great!

Thanks for the feedback!  My shoulders are really rounded in that pic!  :)  How do you keep ankles, knees and hips in one line if you are bending your knees?  In forward fold is it more important to touch the floor or to have your legs straight?

Hi @WorldRunner Touching the toes is not a priority, but rather the safety of the low back is priority. So, you are working to release the lumbar spine lower than the tailbone. If bending the knees is what gets you there - awesome! Having the shoulders rounded isn't so much a concern here, but you'll want to release the neck to prevent strain. If the hands don't touch the floor, you can grab ahold of shins or ankles or bring a block under the hands for some support. Also, try widening your stance a bit in order to ease the stretch - that often helps. And then stay there a breathe for a bit. Try your best not to force your forward folds, just try to let gravity do the work. :) It all comes with time and patience

yogafire and karippa like this