laceyd

What's Your Favorite Pose?

55 posts in this topic

I'm really loving all the responses on here! Its given me great insipration to build on the poses that are others' favorites!! I just recently found a great love for Camel! :D

YogaByCandace likes this

I love the poses I hate and fear because when you surrender as Melanie so brilliantly expressed above, it really makes me grow. It can be oh so frustrating but as my shrink told me: be grateful for all strong physical sensations in particular the uncomfortable ones they are there to give you a message, cherish this.

But yeah the fish pose I'm gonna love you.

YogaByCandace, laceyd and Turi like this

One of my all-time favorite poses is definitely crow pose. Once I was able to get into it and hold it for more breaths, I felt really strong and confident. I remember when I first started practicing yoga and I posted a picture of an elderly lady in crow pose; I pinned it to my yoga Pinterest board and captioned it as "I'll get here one day!" Feels good that that day has come! =)

I love crow pose because it took me so long to get it. For the longest time I just could not imagine ever being able to lift my feet. It felt impossible. Now that I can do it, and hold it for around 10 breaths, I feel proud and strong whenever I do it. It made me realize that if you stick to it you will get there. 

I love pigeon pose.. Although i am very tight in my hips (especially my right to struggle with this)..

I've recently mastered crow pose and now working on mastering my headstand..

There are so many poses to chose from it is difficult and I love some more than others depending on how I'm feeling.

laceyd, YogaByCandace and Turi like this

I love pigeon pose.. Although i am very tight in my hips (especially my right to struggle with this)..

I've recently mastered crow pose and now working on mastering my headstand..

There are so many poses to chose from it is difficult and I love some more than others depending on how I'm feeling.

I completely agree! There are so many to choose from and there are some poses that I have a love/hate relationship with.
Turi and mimisouth like this

my current, favorite pose is supported headstand...i haven't mastered it at all, but i get really excited watching my feet float up a little lol

I could not agree more!! I too have been working on supported headstand and have been getting really excited as I get closer to getting my legs up and straight. I am nowhere close to mastering it but my excitment keeps me driven! :54:

I have no idea what it is called, but your hips are forward facing and squared off and toes are all pointed forward(I hope - at least that is what I do). one leg is in front, other one behind you and you forward fold over front leg (both legs are straight). My hamstrings and hips cry with love each time I do this!

MrBalloonHands likes this

I have no idea what it is called, but your hips are forward facing and squared off and toes are all pointed forward(I hope - at least that is what I do). one leg is in front, other one behind you and you forward fold over front leg (both legs are straight). My hamstrings and hips cry with love each time I do this!

This sounds like Intense Side Stretch Pose (Parsvottanasana). The front knee can bend a little to focus the lengthening of the hamstrings either to the butt or the back of the knee. The back foot is angled slightly out to the side. If the hamstrings are pulled too hard they automatically pull back which makes lengthening very difficult. Contract the muscles on the front of the leg to relax the back side.

It is a very good pose and we can do it anywhere. 

nfenchak likes this

I love downward dog. During a challenging vinyasa class it feels great to return to downward dog and to have the chance to catch my breathe and refocus.

This is so true! I love downward dog too.

My other favourite pose is pigeon pose...pigeon pose was the reason I fell in love with yoga :D

My favorite yoga poses are forearm stands, butterfly, crow pose, back bends and lotus! 

Now working on grasshopper pose.  :wub:

Christine

www.feibulous.wordpress.com

I love the pigeon and the 3 legged dog pose they both make me feel so bendy and graceful. I always light right up when I hear Candace's voice saying 3 legged dog or pigeon. I have yet to be able to get into a lot of the inversions but I'm working on it and I think that when I can there's no way you will get me right side up again!  :P

KimK and MrBalloonHands like this

So cool to read all of these even though I'm late to the party! ^_^ I love Warrior 3. When I can hold that pose I feel like I'm flying. Same with crow. I also enjoy tree a lot. 

As for restorative, I love me a good supine spinal twist.

(Hopefully the other people who were late to the party will add theirs as well) :)

Prasarita Padottanasana (A,B C and D), Lolasana (despite I can't really perform it totally) and Setu Bandha Sarvangasana

I love arm balances! The first time I did bakasana I was so excited and proud. Sounds dramatic but it honestly changed the way I felt about myself. I never thought I would be able to achieve a pose like that and it gave me the confidence to try so many things I never would have tried. It helped me to see that many of my fears and insecurities (in my practice and life) were unfounded and needed to be let go. 

My other favorites are headstand and full wheel. So fun! 

afriske likes this

My current favorite is the restorative version of Swastikasana, using a bolster. I believe in Yin this would be Deer pose. It's glorious!!! The best is when you have someone to give you an assist in this one...

asana_deer_twisted_reclinin.gif

I LOVE inversions! :) Anytime I'm upside down, I'm in a happy place... I don't like standing poses. I don't know why I hate warrior ii so much! Perhaps because it forces me to stay still... I'm not good at that. But inversions require so much concentration, I am fully in the moment. I like that.

brenskip55 likes this

Inversions are so energizing!  

I used to think warriors and lunges were really boring! They didn't seem to do anything for me, so I just "hung out" in them.  Then one of my teachers kept reminding me to widen my stance in Warrior II, to the point where it was uncomfortable, but in a good way. I had to really engage my leg muscles and press into my feet to breathe through the burning, and I am able to get my pelvis lower to the ground with a widened stance while working out my leg muscles. And I have to remember, wiggle my toes so I'm not clenching them, press through the outsides of my feet.  All these cues made me appreciate the subtleties of standing poses, so much that Warrior II is probably one of my favorites. Sometimes we do variations with our arms while in warrior II (eagle, cow face arms), so it makes me something to focus on while my legs are on fire!

brenskip55 and msinkblot like this

Ohhh good points @yogafire!! I also find warrior 2 is difficult with arm variations, like eagle arms , etc. Some variations I do enjoy, like goalpost arms in warrior 1. I even like leaning back from warrior i. Hmm... For me it's not my legs but arms that burn in warrior ii! So that may be it... I might try a longer stance now to see if I feel more fire :D

yogafire likes this