Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
freshyogi

Warming up before yoga session.

7 posts in this topic

Do you agree that prior to performing difficult Yoga asanas one should warm up - similarly to warming up before strength training?

I think the title of this question threw me off.  To me, a yoga session consists of sequences or sun salutations that naturally warm me up before it progresses into more difficult asanas.  So by that definition, no, there is not a separate warm up before a yoga session, but the session itself should warm your muscles in the beginning to prevent yourself from straining any muscles while attempting a difficult asana.

I would also warn against warming up too much to prevent overstretching.  For instance, I used to run for 20 min before doing yoga, and, it felt great, and I was more flexible, but, I overstretched a muscle while being too enthusiastic. I didn't feel it at all at the time but the next day it felt bad.

Only you know what works best.

For some, the way the typical class is structured (starting with slow gentle movements to warm up the muscles, loosen the joints, etc.) is sufficient. For others, there are specific parts of the body that needs extra loosening. I have very tight hamstrings, so I typically show up for class very early and try to do at least five minutes of legs on the wall. Others spend time with hip openers, others do back and shoulder work. 
You should experiment and find out what type of warm up and how much time to spend on it works best for you.

While I agree that warming up before doing yoga isn't strictly necessary, I found it's become an important part of my daily routine. I do yoga first thing in the morning (warm up, meditation, then yoga), so my body can be quite stiff. Warming up helps me wake up and see which parts of my body need more attention, which in turn helps me decide what kind of yoga would suit me best for the day.

I tend to do this video by Candace to warm up most days. Otherwise I'll do a very short series of spinal movements, just to see where I'm at.

yogafire likes this

In many yoga classes today, Sun Salute has become the default starting place to warm up. However, this version allows for only limited movement of the hip joint. I prefer to stick with the Classical Sun Salutations to warm up the body as they offer a fuller range of motion in the major joints.

yogafire likes this

The logic that there is a warm up process "built into" the routine done during a class makes total sense to me; start slow and go from there, warming up as you go. So I am wondering what other kind of warm up exercises/moves could be appropriate complements before starting yoga? Would it just be different stretches? I don't think I'd ever want to go for a run or anything like that before yoga.