Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Caroline

Old Knee Injury & modifying poses

4 posts in this topic

Hi, all! I'm brand new here, and a semi-newbie to yoga--I got into it last year, then kind of left, and just found my way back! I discovered YBC this week and I am so inspired by this community!

Anyway. Just over a year ago, I injured my knee in a car accident. (They told me it wasn't cracked at all, but when I still get sharp pains 15 months later I have doubts.) Aside from "doppler knee" (magic joint that can sense the weather changing now) I tend to get pretty significant pain when I put too much pressure on a specific spot on my kneecap. This can lead to sudden pain in the middle of a pose if I shift a little too far to the inside of one knee. My main question is, if I modify a pose quickly to avoid pain, such as shifting my weight, will I risk hurting the rest of my body? ( or will one leg miss out on the benefits of a pose and I'll end up lopsided? :lol:)

Lorelei likes this

As with any medical or injury related question, it's preferable for you to work directly with a competent, trained instructor who can watch you perform and provide specific advice based on your unique situation.

May I ask if you attend classes or are self teaching with online videos, etc.?   In nearly every class I've taken, the instructor always starts out asking if anyone has any injuries that might come into play. Once identified, they typically will pay closer attention to the individual and will suggest appropriate modifications. 

If you're not attending "live" classes, I'd strongly recommend attending individual classes (cost $10-20) or take a few a private lesson (which would be more expensive). I belong to a fitness center where the classes are free with the monthly membership. Many fitness centers have a free two or three day "trial membership" pass,  if money is an issue. You should do some homework and find a place with recommended teaches and discuss your issue with them. This investment in your practice will pay huge dividends as this will allow you to tailor an approach that works best for you.

As to your question, generally speaking, any sudden jarring move (in response to pain) can cause a problem if the muscle or tendons aren't ready for the shift. As I'm not a trainer nor medically trained that's the extent of the advice I can provide, but know this as the one time I sustained a yoga related injury was when I moved too quickly from a pose and caught my muscle ”off guard".

Again, I think it best to have someone watch you and discuss what you're feeling as you involve your knee in your practice. They'll most likely suggest slight adjustments to allow you to perform without putting your knees in a precarious position.  The might also suggest the use of certain props, blankets, etc., to protect or comfort the injured area.

Lorelei and Caroline like this

Hi Caroline, Welcome to this website.

It is never a good idea to modify or even do a pose quickly if you have an injury in that area. Always slow and controlled. And always want to try and keep things even on both sides. Yes, you will actually become more lopsided! We are all lopsided somewhat. We try to work to keep both sides even. Which may mean working at the level of the lessor side to avoid injury.

I am not sure that anyone here can help you with your knee problem. The only thing I can say is we are never suppose to put pressure on the knee cap, healthy or injured. If you look really hard you might find a yoga teacher or yoga therapist that is qualified to help you with this. 

I give 3 links here, they are all very respected authors. They are NOT meant to suggest things that you should do. This is just so you have more information about knees and problems with knees. And to know that the problem may not even originate in the knee.

http://preventyogainjury.blogspot.ca/2013/02/3-things-you-must-do-to-keep-you-knees.html

https://yogainternational.com/article/view/yoga-therapy-for-your-knees1

https://nikivetten.wordpress.com/knee-injury-and-pain-in-yoga/

Aside from definitely consulting a doctor, here's some advice you might already be following....try not to lock your knees.  There is more give in movement and maybe less need for a fast adjustment if you have a little micro bend going on.  Locked knees can lead to injury.  

By the way, welcome to the best yoga forum in the world!!!!  And I love the "doppler knee."  I always called mine the weather vane.....but I'm borrowing the name for yours from now on.  I guess my term was showing my age. :)