ZillaRac

Practice

7 posts in this topic

What bought everyone to yoga?! We all came for a reason, what were yours?

I came to it randomly on YouTube,  I was going though somethings in my personal life (stuck in a rut, getting over a bad breakup) anyway, I started watching yoga tutorials online and I was just FASCINATED by all the ways you could move your body.

Anyway after much internal debate, I took a class. In that class the teacher started talking about small shifts in your life and everything absolutely clicked inside me and it's stuck with me since.

yogafire and Thomas like this

I think it's so interesting to hear why people come to practice, and then to see what it is that makes them stay. For me, I was brought to yoga for the physical practice, hoping to rebuild strength after having ligament replacement surgery on my ankle. I was using yoga as a tool so that I could get back into dancing. Well, I never really got to dancing, because I stuck with yoga. Of course the physical benefits are great, but ultimately I stayed with my yoga practice because of the overwhelming sense of peace that I was able to find. Not to mention all the tools I've picked up from the practice that help me to fight off anxiety, depression and to cope with the chaos of the world.

yogafire and ZillaRac like this

21 hours ago, ZillaRac said:

In that class the teacher started talking about small shifts in your life and everything absolutely clicked inside me and it's stuck with me since.

oh! that always resonates with me, too.  Gives me hope and inspiration - so even if I have long breaks in between my yoga practice, I still observe those small shifts at the end of class and feel more motivated.

I first went to classes at my neighborhood YMCA for about a year, thinking I could use more flexibility and better balance. It was a great community of folks, but, I started feeling like I wasn't making much progress and just going through the motions.  Then I got into a car accident 5 years ago - it troubled me physically with whiplash (the headache kept me up for a couple days) and also mentally because it was my first accident, and I hit someone else even though I had the green light. I was going uphill on a very steep one way street, so it was a small intersection, and I couldn't brake in time.  It was the first time as an adult I had to deal with something out of my control and was illogical - the other driver was screaming in my face, calling me drunk when I never drink, just because I was remaining silent and not reacting (probably due to shock and processing). It turned out the woman was uninsured, which is why she reacted that way (and lied about it), but it all turned out ok at the end because good car insurance covers uninsured drivers.

After, I noticed yoga helped ease my whiplash and also helped slow down my frantic worried thoughts about the car accident.  So I sought out a nearby yoga studio to try out more advanced classes. The first class freaked me out because I could hear everyone breathe the whole time!  But then I asked the teacher about it and learned how to breathe, which helped me learn how to endure and not run away.  And to let go and acknowledge that I can't control everything.

brenskip55, ZillaRac and Thomas like this

22 hours ago, brenskip55 said:

to mention all the tools I've picked up from the practice that help me to fight off anxiety, depression and to cope with the chaos of the world.

See I don't suffer from anxiety however, I think most people come to depression in some way or another at some stage. Even though I've not really had anxiety issues I've noticed I'm more carefree about most things, yoga has definitely helped me to be more laid back and it's a trait I've really come to appreciate in myself ?. It's just like @yogafire said, let go and acknowledge that you can't control everything.

brenskip55 likes this

I would think my story doesn't sound like much to others. But it did to me.

From the link: Confessions of a Yoga Teacher: The Yoga Journey

"A confession: I know so many people who started to seriously practice yoga in the wake of some unfortunate, traumatic event."
I found this very interesting.

I have practiced yoga for a long time. At first I was not very serious but stuck with a short simple practice to relax at the end of the day. This was my first introduction to yoga  Priscilla Patrick. Isn't that old:DThere was no internet back then!:D I think it was reruns when I was watching it. About 8 years ago I had an accident with severe damage to my left foot. I didn't realize how serious this was when it first happened. I thought it would be 3 months in a cast and crutches then I would be fine after that. After about 2 months I was told that I may never walk again without a walker or walking canes, quickly develop arthritis, it would always be painful and I would need special shoes made. All for the rest of my life. None of this happened. I will get back to that shortly. I didn't believe this at first until I saw other people with similar injuries and the condition they were in. Then it started to sink in. Physiotherapy turned out to be a disaster. Pathetic? Incompetent?

I went home, not in vary good shape at this point and tried to review my options. The best I could come up with was move a great distance away for high quality and expensive physiotherapy. At that point I decided the only way I would get better was to attempt to do it myself. I took what I had learned from my yoga practice and started working on my foot in a way that I thought best. A week later I was walking without crutches, 1 week. It wasn't pretty but I was walking. After that it took me about 6 months of work to get back to somewhat normal walking.

It turns out that I had learnt a great deal more from my practice than I thought I had.

After that my practice became one of the most important things in my life. I never miss a day. I know we are suppose to take one day off a week but I never do. My practice is usually Ashtanga then Yin (the original Yin type of yoga) or restorative. Now, my foot and the rest of me is in far better shape than before the accident.

Anahata, I think that your story is inspirational! You've basically nursed yourself back to health even though people said it wasn't possible. AWESOME!

I think one of the most important lessons yoga has taught me is that it's not always about the big things, it's about small victories. You slowly but surely worked things out with your foot @Anahata. It's about small stuff and the big stuff will come to us. Like... flexing the feel and keeping the legs engaged in half moon when 4 weeks ago you couldn't even lift the leg parallel. 

YogaByCandace and brenskip55 like this

Thanks ZillaRac, we get to keep all of our little things and after some time they add to something much more than the individual parts.

I hope others write their stories here as well. Even something short and simple is nice to read.

ZillaRac likes this