YogaByCandace

30 Day April Program

48 posts in this topic

I have yet to do one of the 30 day programs. I'm always 'too busy' blah blah. But I'm in this time!
And thank you @YogaByCandace for the way that you presented this program. Nothing bugs me more than the "bikini ready" "swimsuit season" BS that I see all over the place this time of year. It absolutely makes my skin crawl. BUT, I DO want to have more energy, and I want to be stronger and have more endurance.

Can't wait to get started!

40 minutes ago, brenskip55 said:

Nothing bugs me more than the "bikini ready" "swimsuit season" BS that I see all over the place this time of year. It absolutely makes my skin crawl.

You and me both, girlfran! We can do some hiit stuff on the beach in May, too!! #soexcited 

brenskip55 likes this

Hi! I have been lurking around the blog and YBC website for a looong time. Finally decide to jump into the community with the April 30 day challenge. Setting aside some time this evening for a little introspection so I can loosely pin down what my goals are for this challenge...and my challenge pose!

I've been looking for a workout that combines yoga and strength training, specifically hiit, so I'm super stoked for this program! I've been doing the YBC videos and 30 day programs for a while now, but this one got me so excited I had to comment :D  I would also like an accountability buddy if anyone is up for it! I live in Japan so I'll be a day-ish ahead of America, but I'm used to making the time difference work.

YogaByCandace and karippa like this

Hi! I finally decided to join the forum for this challenge - I hope it helps me to practice daily!

I wouldn't say no to an accountability buddy, but I'll have to modify the program a bit as far as I'm concerned... I commented on the article, but I think here is a better place to get advice. I play underwater rugby, so I spend 2h in the water on Sundays and Tuesdays, and we have a swimming/diving practice (1h) on Thursdays - each time with an hour-long team workout (mostly core, with stability balls and bodyweight exercises) before. So on those days I can't really add the challenge program, I'm already trying to find a balance and eat enough... What would you recommend (@YogaByCandace or anybody with experience in those challenges), should I skip the challenge on training days (i.e. if I have training on day 3, do days 1, 2, training, 4, 5...) or retake it where I stopped the next day (i.e. do days 1, 2, training, 3, 4, training, 5...) ? I'm afraid to lose motivation if I do the latter, and just stop the challenge altogether... :/

Anyway, I'm starting today, and I hope to tackle crow pose by the end of the month!

karippa and YogaByCandace like this

17 hours ago, Thomas said:

Hi. This will be my first 30 day program. Step 3 recommends acquiring an accountability buddy. If anyone cares to be mine, that would be great! 

This is my first challenge too. Would gladly be buddies, if you want!

karippa, YogaByCandace and Thomas like this

okay.... This will be my third 30 day challenge. The first one was great and I really felt that got my yoga practice to a good spot. (Before was very random). Then I started on the restorative challenge... I did really enjoy it - but I found myself skipping the really restoring ones. I know I know - they were there for a reason. But I got caught up in wheel pose and just wanted to work on that all the time. Finally after the 30 days I started going back and working on my meditation. I'm finally getting to enjoy that part and have started reading, Meditation as Medicine" to get a better understanding.

I am very excited for this challenge because I know that strength is a HUGE challenge for me. I'm very petite and have always been. I've always avoided weight training at all costs! However... my goal has been crow for quite some time now. And its really urgs me that my brother could pretty much do it on the first time. (My first time I fell on my face and didn't try for another 2 months). **Deep Breath** I'm going to try again. 

I encourage constructive criticism on the photos I post during these 30 days. That is one thing that I really dislike about practicing on my own and learning something new. I don't know what I'm doing!!! So below is my attempt today at crow. I can tell you that I did not stay up for very long. The right foot was a lot easier to lift than the left. 

Screenshot_20160401-144832_1.jpg

I did the first day yesterday because I can't read apparently :P BUT I am so in !! I needed this because I felt like my yoga and my workouts have been hitting a plateau.  If anyone needs an accountability partner let me know ! 

YogaByCandace likes this

I've been wanting to get in on one of these challenges, and April is finally the month for me! I've been very sporadic in my practice the last few months, and I'm getting ready for a 5k next month and I can definitely tell the difference when I'm running and not practicing. My hammies are unhappy. Not sure about which pose I'll be focusing on, but possibly bridge pose. I've got really tight shoulders and desperately need to open them up. 

If anyone is looking for a buddy, let me know! I'll be practicing in the mornings. I'm eastern US, if that makes any difference to anyone! 

YogaByCandace likes this

9 hours ago, Jennerrific said:

If anyone is looking for a buddy, let me know! I'll be practicing in the mornings. I'm eastern US, if that makes any difference to anyone!          

@Jennerrific, I am also eastern US and would love a buddy! I typically practice at night after work. Let me know if this works! :)

YogaByCandace likes this

I'm totally into it and as it is my first yoga challenge I think I can really make it. Recently I've started something similar on my own but it's so much better doing this with the whole group together and with the plan. I modified it a little bit cause I need one more day for one of my favourite workout for the whole body, instead of one day of yoga I think. But I always do yoga as a cool down so it's still there with me, helping to calm and stretch. Can't imagine stretching without downward dog and pigeon pose, these are my absolute favourites. As my challenge pose I've also chosen baby grasshopper. I'm able to do it on the right side for a moment but never made it on the left. Also hope that I'll make my crow pose better, I can only stay there for like a few seconds. So I wanna make it better, get stronger, stretch, lose some weight and BE FULL OF BEANS :Flying_Dragon:

Thomas and YogaByCandace like this

4 hours ago, Courtleigh said:

@Jennerrific, I am also eastern US and would love a buddy! I typically practice at night after work. Let me know if this works! :)

yes! sounds terrific! Let me know if there are any specific needs you have, and what you're working towards so I can be your cheerleader! 

YogaByCandace likes this

Just did day 2 (over in the UK :)) and phew that was tiring!! I can barely lift up my arms. But very excited about my burpee progress that will definitely happen with all these burpees!

YogaByCandace likes this

On 4/1/2016 at 4:14 PM, kayla said:

I encourage constructive criticism on the photos I post

Hi!! The biggest thing that helped me with crow was looking out in front at the top of my mat, rather than straight down. Give that a try since it's such a quick, easy fix. That should help prevent you from falling. The second thing I can see is that your upper back is flat which may mean you're "resting" your legs on your arms. This is totally normal as a beginner to this pose and since you said you've always avoided strength training - so it's not a big deal, but I think it will help you tremendously if you think about creating a rounded upper back. Think: Round the space between my shoulder blades. Doing that will mean that you have to push the mat away even more, and that you will have to "lift up" with your legs and hips. Instead of resting your legs on your arms, you'll be perching - haha, that's how I like to think of it anyway. Anyway, creating that round in the upper back will also engage the intercostal muscles, so you'll really begin to feel it. Give that a try even if you've still got one foot on the ground - you'll still be able to feel those intercostals. Hope that helps!! You're off to a fantastic start!! :) 

Thomas, kayla and brenskip55 like this

Hi All!

I've been doing Candace's videos for about a year now (even got my sister and boyfriend hooked as well!) but this is my first challenge.

I just finished day 2 and almost DIED! ha! I have never done HIIT workouts before and my arms are still shaking writing this post! I think Push up party is actually the worst party ever! haha!

I just wanted to say thanks Candace for being so warm and genuine! I really feel like you are my personal "coach" and appreciate your humility and just openness to all levels, body types. It's nice to follow a real person online for once! :)

Thomas, YogaByCandace and kayla like this