YogaByCandace

30 Day April Program

48 posts in this topic

11 hours ago, fluffypossum said:

Hi All!

I've been doing Candace's videos for about a year now (even got my sister and boyfriend hooked as well!) but this is my first challenge.

I just finished day 2 and almost DIED! ha! I have never done HIIT workouts before and my arms are still shaking writing this post! I think Push up party is actually the worst party ever! haha!

I just wanted to say thanks Candace for being so warm and genuine! I really feel like you are my personal "coach" and appreciate your humility and just openness to all levels, body types. It's nice to follow a real person online for once! :)

Oh yeah, push up parties are the worst <_< - followed closely by burpee parties:o. Speaking of, I should make another (longer) burpee party vid, mwahhahaha. 

Anyway! Thanks for the kind words! I try my best to respond and answer questions and just be there for people so I'm so glad to hear you think I'm doing a good job! As the YBC Community grows, it's hard to keep up with everything which is why I so appreciate how everyone helps each other out on this forum and even sometimes on instagram people will jump in and answer questions others have posed. I love you guys! :13:

fluffypossum and Thomas like this

Hello everyone. My accountability partner hasn't been online since they joined. I hope all is well with them. In the meantime, does anyone else need an accountability buddy? I'm on day 4 now but I can start over if you want. Thanks! 

YogaByCandace likes this

On 4/2/2016 at 2:18 AM, Thomas said:

Wow. I have chosen baby grasshopper as my challenge pose and was unable to even get my lower body off the ground. That's okay, I bet it will feel awesome when I do get it. First day was great! 

I'm assuming you already have.. but if not - https://youtu.be/-BaZTJLubrY (Candace breaking down baby grasshopper) is a great video. After watching this it all made since. Good Luck! Look forward to hearing how you progress. 

yogafire, YogaByCandace and Thomas like this

22 hours ago, YogaByCandace said:

Hi!! The biggest thing that helped me with crow was looking out in front at the top of my mat, rather than straight down. Give that a try since it's such a quick, easy fix. That should help prevent you from falling. The second thing I can see is that your upper back is flat which may mean you're "resting" your legs on your arms. This is totally normal as a beginner to this pose and since you said you've always avoided strength training - so it's not a big deal, but I think it will help you tremendously if you think about creating a rounded upper back. Think: Round the space between my shoulder blades. Doing that will mean that you have to push the mat away even more, and that you will have to "lift up" with your legs and hips. Instead of resting your legs on your arms, you'll be perching - haha, that's how I like to think of it anyway. Anyway, creating that round in the upper back will also engage the intercostal muscles, so you'll really begin to feel it. Give that a try even if you've still got one foot on the ground - you'll still be able to feel those intercostals. Hope that helps!! You're off to a fantastic start!! :) 

Thank you so much for the help,  I'm going to give it a shot when I get home tonight. One of my favorite things about your videos is how you talk us through getting into a pose.. you break it down so easily that before i know it - I'm doing it. So now when I'm practicing crow I'm going to think of the space between my shoulder blades and the round back and perching. (rather than..OH Crap..I cannot do this - I need to lift weights). 

5 hours ago, kayla said:

I'm assuming you already have.. but if not - https://youtu.be/-BaZTJLubrY (Candace breaking down baby grasshopper) is a great video. After watching this it all made since. Good Luck! Look forward to hearing how you progress. 

Thanks so much, Kayla! I actually had watched it like two times and thought, "Oh, that looks easy enough." Silly me. Thanks for the support!

YogaByCandace likes this

Well, I skipped Day 2 and Day 3 of the program, but jumped back in yesterday for Day 4 and my first ever HIIT workout. I gotta say, I love it and hate it. Lol

I love that it was so quick, and kept it interesting. I only did 3 reps, though, so 15 min instead of 20. My whole body was like jello afterwards and I'm already feeling the after effects in my arms and shoulders. It feels good! I know that today is a rest day, but I think I will probably go back and do either Day 2 or Day 3 tonight, since I got a rest day on Sunday.

I'm even going to try to get my husband to do the HIIT workouts with me, since I haven't been able to convert him into a yogi yet. :P

I can already tell this program is going to help my goal pose - handstand. Yahoo!

8 hours ago, brenskip55 said:

Well, I skipped Day 2 and Day 3 of the program, but jumped back in yesterday for Day 4 and my first ever HIIT workout. I gotta say, I love it and hate it. Lol

I love that it was so quick, and kept it interesting. I only did 3 reps, though, so 15 min instead of 20. My whole body was like jello afterwards and I'm already feeling the after effects in my arms and shoulders. It feels good! I know that today is a rest day, but I think I will probably go back and do either Day 2 or Day 3 tonight, since I got a rest day on Sunday.

I'm even going to try to get my husband to do the HIIT workouts with me, since I haven't been able to convert him into a yogi yet. :P

I can already tell this program is going to help my goal pose - handstand. Yahoo!

I'm on Day 4 today, and I'm already scared to start! ha! My arms are still so sore (good sore!) from Day 2/3!  I've been telling my boyfriend about what I've been doing and I think he thinks it's gonna be easy! ha! little does he know! :)

22 hours ago, brenskip55 said:

I'm even going to try to get my husband to do the HIIT workouts with me

13 hours ago, fluffypossum said:

I've been telling my boyfriend about what I've been doing and I think he thinks it's gonna be easy! ha! little does he know! :)

i love that you guys are recruiting your significant others to join you on the pain train hahaha :13: @brenskip55 I la-la-love that you are making it work for YOU. I need to go in and remind people that they have the freedom to shorten time, modify movements, etc to make it work for them. Thank you for the reminder! 

fluffypossum and brenskip55 like this

Day 3 with my new accountability buddy and I feel great. The yoga has been challenging and the workouts have been tough. I thought i could do the 1-10-1 pushup party. Ha. 1-5-1 and I was on my knees at the end. The suggestion to video then screengrab was great. Watching the videos I can see that my form is off and know what to change. In triangle headstand I thought my legs were straight up and down, they were not. Today I'm gonna play it smart and do the beginners option of the video!

During the HIIT work out yesterday, my legs just stopped moving! I was like, "Come on! One more burpee legs!" and they just said, "oh, hell NO!".

I thought I really nailed those squats, but today trying to get something out of the bottom of the fridge, I almost got stuck on the floor: too sore to get back up!

Today, I am so thankful, is some restorative yoga! :)

Had an extremely long day at work, got home - the dog had thrown up and just looked sick. Cleaned up his mess gave him a bath. Absolutely dreaded the idea of pulling up the blog and seeing what day 6 consisted of. But after a long sigh I got out the computer. When I saw gentle hatha I think my mind relaxed immediately. I hit play and completely enjoyed every minute. And it gave me what I needed to complete the next routine.  ****I don't think tonight will be so relaxing.

Day 7 HIIT work out complete! I made it for the complete 20 mins this time, so that's an improvement from Day 4 already. :P Also did the cool down yoga video after which was really nice and relaxing. 

I just downloaded the free Interval Timer App for my phone which is amazing! Makes things so much easier then messing around with your phone every minute or staring at a clock. Highly recommend it!

Happy weekend everyone!

Yes! Definitely getting that app! Great suggestions @fluffypossum

I spent this weekend INTENDING to double up and take a studio class as well as the daily assignment. Of course it didn't happen. I did step outside the norm though and go take 2 super vigorous power flow classes that kicked my booty, so I don't feel too guilty about it. If nothing else, I needed it for a bit of an energy boost to the soul. Nothing beats a packed class with that steady rhythmic sound of ujjayi - My favorite! So, today I'll go for the HIIT workout I missed over the weekend. I'm going to try to recruit my husband to do it with me too - wish me luck!

Happy Monday All

@YogaByCandace or anyone else who knows :

For day 13 I want to make sure I understand this right. Do we just do that number of Burpees, Air Squats, and Mountain Climbers back to back for 10 minutes straight? So basically 1 rep would be the whole sequence below all the way through?

10 Min AMRAP

• 10 Burpees

• 15 Air Squats

• 20 Mountain Climbers

YogaByCandace likes this

I think it's this kind of AMRAP when you do As Many Rounds As Possible, am I right? So one round is 10 burpees, 15 air squats, 20 mountain climbers and then all over again for 10 minutes. I planned it for today, can't waittttttt but I'm sure it's not gonna be easy :D

Also, I have to tell you that I can see myself getting stronger, since day 7 I am able to do the baby grasshopper pose on both sides! 

@brenskip55 @oneshotballerina yep! So for ten min straight you just keep doing 10 burpees, 15 air squats, 20 mountain climbers over and over and over again until 10 mins is up. If you want, you can keep track of how many rounds you do and share with each other, or if you don't feel like keeping track, you don't have to. :) I used to not keep track of anything but when I started doing the same training program as James and his classes, I started keeping track just to see where I was coming in compared to others. 

Thomas and brenskip55 like this

Hi, everyone. I just wanted to thank @YogaByCandace for this awesome challenge. It is my first ever and every part of it has been wonderful. My friends are noticing improvements in my attitude and appearance and I am feeling much more grounded and calm. This challenge has helped me to commit to a schedule and provide structure to my life. All of the suggestions have been so helpful, from the videoing of the practice to the acquiring of a yoga buddy, the journaling and setting a schedule, and even the Instagramming. The meditations, yoga, and workout have been perfect. I am only on day 11 but already my life is changed for the better. Thank you, Candace for all that you do. Thanks @PerlaRM for doing this challenge with me!      

6 hours ago, Thomas said:

Hi, everyone. I just wanted to thank @YogaByCandace for this awesome challenge. It is my first ever and every part of it has been wonderful. My friends are noticing improvements in my attitude and appearance and I am feeling much more grounded and calm. This challenge has helped me to commit to a schedule and provide structure to my life. All of the suggestions have been so helpful, from the videoing of the practice to the acquiring of a yoga buddy, the journaling and setting a schedule, and even the Instagramming. The meditations, yoga, and workout have been perfect. I am only on day 11 but already my life is changed for the better. Thank you, Candace for all that you do. Thanks @PerlaRM for doing this challenge with me!      

You're so welcome, I'm so happy to hear you're enjoying it so much!! 

Thomas likes this

On 4/15/2016 at 9:40 PM, YogaByCandace said:

You're so welcome, I'm so happy to hear you're enjoying it so much!! 

Thank you. Today was a great rest day. I can't believe we are at day 22 already! (I'm 3 days behind). This challenge has gone by so quickly. I feel so much better than when I started. My friends notice improvement. They're like, that's just from yoga? Pretty much, yeah; Yoga by Candace.

YogaByCandace and kayla like this