msinkblot

200 hr or 500hr training?

4 posts in this topic

Hi! I'm curious whether any of you have taken 500 hours programs as I've enrolled in one and I'm not sure what your opinions are on having more rather than less teacher training. 

Is 200hr very different from 500hr trainings? I've been told a lot that 200hr is really not enough. What are your opinions?

YogaByCandace likes this

My only opinion right now is that I'm super jealous! When I took my 200hr training it was like firehose learning - you can only really hang onto so much information. I'd absolutely love to have the chance to do another training, but sadly, I'm not in the position to commit that much time to it right now. Some day for sure. I think it's a great idea to learn as much as you can. Congrats!

I'm curious to know which program you've enrolled in?

Again - Jealous!

YogaByCandace and msinkblot like this

My 200hr was really, really intense. I do feel like it was enough to get a solid start and teach confidently. I did an intensive 6 week program on site, so even though it was just meant to be 200 hours, I felt  like it was a 24hr thing every single day haha. That being said, I would la-la-love to do an addition 300hrs but can't commit to the time (and I also think they're so so so expensive). I'm not sure 300 will ever be in the cards for me but I hope so. In the meantime, I love taking intensive master classes, workshops and drop in classes at different studios to keep learning. :) 

msinkblot, brenskip55 and Lorelei like this

Thanks so much for the advice! I really love the school I inscribed in and here is the program: http://www.naada.ca/yoga-teacher-training/500-hour-certification/
Yeah, it's mostly because it's a long commitment (1-2 years) and I kind of want to teach right now! Also, a huge monetary investment and the difference between a 200hr and a 500hr is $2000 in my bank account, haha! I've heard of intensive trainings, and I'd love to do one, but I'm also more willing to invest that money into a course that I'm familiar with and I've heard a lot of good things about from friends and also other teachers in other studios. 

They do weekend intensives which fits well with my working schedule, but I may have to do sell some art to make up for the loss! I'm really really excited about starting, though. :) I ask also because so many people have done 200hr trainings and they say it is not enough... and it's rare to find people who have committed to a 500 hour training because it is a lot!