Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
KRISTN

Full Locust Pose

6 posts in this topic

Hello, I am having trouble doing the full locust pose and am stuck at 45 degrees. Any ideas as to how I can lift my legs up further? Also, how long does it take to achieve a full locust pose with daily practise? Many thanks Kris

Hi! Maybe you mean Bow pose? Locust the legs don't rise to a very high angle. They are both very good poses.

Locust http://www.yogaoutlet.com/guides/how-to-do-locust-pose-in-yoga

Bow Pose http://www.yogaoutlet.com/guides/how-to-do-bow-pose-in-yoga

Full Bow pose is feet to the back of the head or shoulders. So for myself and I think most others - never!

If you look the 2 poses over and have questions we can try to answer. 

1 hour ago, Anahata said:

... Locust the legs don't rise to a very high angle.

unless you're this guy

full-locust.jpg

or this lady

1ee8f2add4507a9b116bb6b74d6a66a8.jpg

LOL!

I hate that variation of chinstand! My instructor tried to explain how to get into it because I asked for a challenge, and I was like "you're kidding right?" Put my fists under my stomach and what!?? Suffice to say I just do the regular one with chataranga arms...

brenskip55 likes this

"you're kidding right?" Exactly

Yes thank you Msinkblot and Larry. I understand now. The ‘pose’ chin/chest stand in Larry’s pictures is more from gymnastics than yoga. Many people have severely hurt their back or neck attempting that one. Lay on the floor and fling the legs up in the air. There is not much integrity to stay safe.

The safer version in yoga is the pose called Uttana Salabhasana. Photo credit Absolutely Ashtanga - Tiffany 

Uttana_Salabhasana_A-166x277.jpg

It is a handstand (or Chaturanga type) with the chin just barely touching the ground. All the weight in the hands. And it is entered much differently and safely. Start seated and press up into the pose like pressing up into a handstand or a similar. Or lower down into it from handstand. This way if the strength isn’t there the pose becomes impossible and the person won’t get into it, so much safer.

People can do it anyway they wish but I am not going to visit in the hospital.:unsure:

msinkblot and brenskip55 like this

That information is good to know @Anahata. I didn't know it was more of a gymnastics move. I was just kind of taken aback, haha! I was feeling really uncomfortable trying to do that- so much cranking on the back and neck argh!!!! I hate locust as it is!! But chinstand definitely feels more stable. :) I like to go into it from eka pada kondinayasana or from 3-legged dog and it feels quite OK. It can be a backbend or a handstand, although I prefer it as a slight backbend to updog. I was also confused because my instructor called it 'locust' and I was wondering if she was talking about chinstand or locust... I didn't know you could combine the two. Me: So you're talking about chinstand with a scorpion backbend? She: No, it's a locust variation. Me:  i think I'm going to give it a pass.... I"m not sure about that (and I"m usually quite daring).