Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
kayla

Pancreatitis

3 posts in this topic

Two years ago I had a battle with pancreatitis. It happened one night after eating dinner.. I was sitting there fine and then all of a sudden I dropped to the floor in pain. The first time it happened I wrote it off as flu symptoms and stayed home to rest the next day while eating very little. Then two days later while out for lunch (just a turkey sandwich) it happened again. This time I was with my mother and she drove me to the ER. After my lab results came back the identified it as pancreatitis. After many more test and doctors apts it was determined to remove my gall bladder (completed June 30th 2014). Afterwards I tried to eat a fairly health diet (no bacon, sausage or high fat foods). And I did see a pretty decent improvement. Occasionally I'd have IBS (sometimes lasting days). But I hadn't suffered from the pain that originally took me to the hospital. 

Friday, as I finished eating a snack (ham sandwich, pepperjack cheese) I started to feel sick to my stomach. I rushed to the restroom but nothing would happen. I came back and laid down and the pain became unbearable. Stabbing through my upper abdominal and twisting in my lower back. I called a friend and they took me the ER. Once again my lab results came back with very high lipase levels. I'm starting the elimination process again to try to find the cause.

Has anyone else had issues with pancreatitis? I'm on a very bland diet right now so suggestions on food would be very much appreciated. I'm also going to kick back my yoga practice and focus on more meditation and slow movements. The idea of repeating this process really has me down today. 

Kayla, I'm so sorry to hear about your issue.  This yoga forum doesn't have as much critical mass here, so I encourage you to also check out the healthboards forum.  I had a health issue a few years ago that was very specific, and I learned of a non-surgical method of treatment that worked for me that my primary care physician didn't tell me about (she told me to just live with it or go through painful surgery).

Pancreatitis seems to be discussed on the digestive disorders board - that might be better to help figure out what is going wrong or searching there for people who may have gone through similar issues to research possible options.

http://www.healthboards.com/boards/digestive-disorders/

As for diet, look up "elimination diet" - a friend with a bad eczema flareup did an elimination diet and slowly added one dietary food back at a time to identify the culprit of her inflammation. Since eating sandwiches has triggered your pain twice, have you already tried gluten free or lactose free (if it's the cheese)?  Only recently I realized there are some people who have gluten sensitivities but don't have celiac disease.

I hope you can still find refuge in your yoga practice and meditation during this hard time.  I feel for you - recurrence of something you battled with can be highly discouraging, but, you're smarter this time around!

Thank you. I've created an account on the healthboards and am researching the subject over there. I guess, trying to look at the positives, we know it is pancreatitis due to the lipase levels. (so at least I know what I'm up against). The question is WHAT causes it? 

I was put on a new prescription about 15 days ago - we've stopped that to see if I start getting better. 
They've scheduled and MRCP to get a better image of the pancrease/liver/ducts. 

I haven't went gluten free yet (they did test me two years ago for the celiac disease). I'm honestly horrible at reading labels. Sooooo now I'm keeping the food journal and researching everything I eat. The issue i have with this is right now I'm 5'5" and only weigh 108lbs. (I've lost 14lbs over the last few months just by eliminating all fast food) so I'm really afraid of not getting all of the nutrition/calories that I need. BUT I'm dedicated to finding a diet and doing what I need to do. And thankful that summer is on its way so I can eat more garden foods. 

I like what you said, Smarter this time around. Thank you it did bring a smile to my face. 

yogafire likes this