Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jennyaurthur

Yoga in Pregnancy?

5 posts in this topic

I suggest you to go for yoga during  pregnancy. Yoga gives you high benefits to prevent disease like diabetes, blood pressure or depression. It is a good way for developing baby so that you feel relaxed and stay fit.  While yoga is a great form of exercise for pregnant women, Bikram yoga specifically in its hot environment is not safe. It can lead to dehydration and overheating. I recommend you to find specific prenatally designed yoga classes. You can also get take help from this article Yoga During Pregnancy. You can gain better insight to yoga if you go through it. 

As an admin and on behalf of this forum, we suggest you consult with your personal physician or professional health care provider to determine what's the best course of action and which exercises you should consider with any medical condition, especially pregnancy.

No one here knows your personal situation nor is anyone capable of determining what is right for your particular circumstances. 

I totally agree with LarryD517. I practiced Yoga during pregnancy and I didn't encounter any problems. Also,many of my friends also did Yoga during pregnancy. and they also didn't have any problems. However, you should consult your doctor for advice because  your doctor is most familiar with your personal situation. Also, you can try to find some pregnancy websites that explain which exercises you should consider when pregnant.

Of course, everyone should check with their doctor but mine was very supportive of yoga during pregnancy.  I'm currently in my 3rd trimester and have been practicing consistently for the past few months. I've found it to be the only kind of exercise that really feels good right now, and it's been really helpful with pregnancy-related lower back pain and sciatica. I recommend doing a few prenatal yoga classes (even online) to learn modifications to ensure your safety and comfort before going to a regular class.

The general rule of thumb I've learned is to avoid abdominal twists, any poses that put pressure or weight on the belly (including backbends), any that rely heavily on engaging the core (e.g boat), and advanced inversions (because of fall risk and because they may make you dizzy or nauseous). After the middle of your second trimester, it's also not good to lay flat on your back as it cuts off blood flow to the baby. 

In terms of comfort and ease of practice, the typical modification is to widen your legs in standing and sitting poses to improve stability and make room for the baby. I've found that my lower back is extra bendy but also very sensitive so I usually avoid even gentle backbends like upward dog. I also recommend doing any balancing poses near a wall so you can catch yourself. If your arm strength isn't great and/or if your hands get slippery, you should also be really careful with planks, chaturunga, and any time you're suspended with your belly facing down.